VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: This Is Tomorrow Calling
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm 

Hi Teresa,

This subject has been covered a few times and I think that explains why there aren't many responses, you are relatively new to the forum, unlike most of us old gits, sorry, vintage personnel of impeccable taste.

Bryan's reworking of Chance Meeting and Sea Breezes as b sides on his early solo singles are brilliant, but obviously were Roxy tunes, as a stand alone effort I would put As The World Turns at the top.

I've said it before, but will say it again, Lover is far and away my favourite b side, and I firmly believe Bryan felt coupling it with the phrasing "Same Old Scene and Lover" on the single's cover was meant for it to be treated as a double a-side single.

It's intriguing that She's Leaving Home has also been mentioned here, again, its just my opinion, but I feel working on She's Leaving Home influenced As The World Turns, which he did around the same time.

It would be fabulous to hear Bryan do both songs on his Hollywood Bowl "with strings" gig later this year.

Sultanesque is still my favourite Roxy b side instrumental, I don't care what people say!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 pm 

I love As the World Turns and played it just as much as This is Tomorrow at the time it was released.

She's Leaving Home is also a favourite of mine, Bryan's version is fantastic but it wasn't recorded as a B side really with it being part of the "All This and World War II" project with the OST released in 1976. I read the various tracks were recorded between 1974-76.

Feel the Need is another favourite for me from the Windswept EP so still sort of a B side, that and Crazy Love are two great covers by Mr F. :)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14 pm 

Roxy,

That's not fair, picking an ep track. You witch.

I love Feel the Need in Me, I think the NME called it "rockestral."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:45 pm 

.........ah but Feel the Need is still on the B side of the Windswept EP Rendezvous. :)

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:58 pm 

Hi Roxy and Rendezvous

Thanks for posting :D

And it's always interesting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:03 pm 

Having checked VRM's discography section, there are some monster B-sides. The daddy of them all is Editions Of You, with Another Time Another Place and Hard Rain also qualifying. However, I don't think the spirit of Teresa's original post extends to established tracks like these so I will rule them out.

One "B-side track that I have always been very partial to which, thanks to Roxy picking up on the EP route, does qualify here is It's Only Love. BF took a below average (that's a generous description - Lennon hated it and he penned it) offering from Help (or Rubber Soul if you are stateside) and reworked it into something vastly superior.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 am 
Site Owner

You can find all the non album songs here:

Bryan Ferry
http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_104.php

Roxy Music
http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_105.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 pm 

Getting back to the :"Camp" topic, the one BF track that seems truly "Campy" to me is It's My Party. It comes across as fakey and lacking in substance. Also, Don't Worry Baby seems rather flat and pointless, especially compared to the original Beach Boy track that Brian Wilson masterminded.

But the title track to These Foolish Things comes across as a wonderfully original take on a classic song; and BF does a masterful job with Hard Rain in taking an icon of 60s protest culture and turning it into a remarkable 70s dance romp. Hard Rain is not camp, it is just a great reinvention of a great Dylan masterpiece...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:54 pm 

Bryan said at the time that "Its my Party"was his acknowledgment to his, and Roxy's, gay following, hence him not changing the wording of he/him and she/her, as would normally be the case.

I like the "flatness" of Don't worry Baby, I always chuckle at the "ooooh oh ohhoyoodley ooooo" at the end.

And just to show I'm not totally hero worshipping Bryan, I can't stand Its Only Love, I love the Beatles too, but neebody could make that crap song into a worthwhile musical memento. There's more life and meaning in a soggy rice biscuit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm 

"Don't worry baby" was originally Brian Wilson's answer to the Ronettes "Be my baby" back in the sixties when artists would record "reply" songs to another artist.I believe that BF'S arrangement of DWB was a homage to both tracks.