VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:09 pm 

pianoman wrote:

The results of the Bavarian jury are:

1. RM 1972: 12 points - because the love song lyrics contrast with a brilliantly arranged experimental sound that always gave me a feeling of desperation. Anyway, feather boa at it's best 8-).

2. Le Grand Rex: 10 points - because BF remembered his old masterpiece and Colin Good invented a modern arrangement for CM that worked very well.

3. LST 1976: 2 points. Superfluous in PM's (not so) humble opinion. Never change a winning team - the early Roxy Music. But two points because all Ferry is good Ferry :lol: .

Perpetual Procrastinators,

Zoot alors, our Bavarian Brethren have spoken and they have choked W2 with their Feather Boa.

The normally ever tasteful Pianoman has allocated only 2 points to the amazing LST version and given his maximum to the '72 VO.

Fortunately Roxology is a broad church and all styles are served.
Consequently, Windswept forgives him but given the superior arrangement, musicianship and vocals inherent in the LST version he does wonder the role that nostalgia has played ?

Heureusement, nous sommes tout a fait d'accord about Le Grand Rex version so confidence in Bavaria is restored to an extent.

W2 took the benefit of Mrs.W's absence today to play the whole LGR set and it really was superb. When the history books are written the Ferry/Good era will be seen as completely golden. W2 just loves the whole thing.

Mais, all Ferry is good Ferry (except IYLSE) so may your Ferry go with you.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just One Step at a Time
And Closer to Destiny
I Knew at a Glance
Ther'd Always Be a Chance For Me

Such Fun :D
All Styles Served Here..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 am 

teresa wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just One Step at a Time
And Closer to Destiny
I Knew at a Glance
Ther'd Always Be a Chance For Me

Such Fun :D
All Styles Served Here..

Cher Teresa,

Mon Dieu - how could you do this to Windswept ?

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:59 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:16 pm 

WS2: "The normally ever tasteful Pianoman has allocated only 2 points to the amazing LST version and given his maximum to the '72 VO.

Fortunately Roxology is a broad church and all styles are served.
Consequently, Windswept forgives him but given the superior arrangement, musicianship and vocals inherent in the LST version he does wonder the role that nostalgia has played ?"

Listened to the LST version once again - upgraded to 8 points ;) . The electric piano chorus/reverb sound is great but where is Graham Simpson's fabulous bass line? Malheureusement still #3, M. Windswept. But I am relieved that WS2 forgave me my nostalgic taste :lol: .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 am 

Have you forgotten the exquisite version of CM from Viva! Jobson's violin is so beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm 

Hi Doc,
I haven't!

I posted a link to it above on page 9
It's one of my Favourite versions..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

Isn't it obvious? ;) :D

1. Le Grand Rex - Colin Good's arrangement captures the best of both the original RM and LST versions and sprinkles the song with magic.
2. Viva - this one sounds so heartfelt and the segway into Both Ends Burning is always nothing short of a thrill.
3. RM - not just for the completely out of leftfield sound that still sounds as original and experimental today as it did then, but for the oh so Noel Coward delivery. Simply sumptuous.
4. LST - by no means a poor fourth - great arrangement and vocal but simply outshone by the calibre of the other three.

OK that's that one sorted. Move along now, nothing more to see here. Next please Monsieur Windswept. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 pm 

teresa wrote:
Hi Doc,
I haven't!

I posted a link to it above on page 9
It's one of my Favourite versions..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Isn't it obvious? ;) :D

1. Le Grand Rex - Colin Good's arrangement captures the best of both the original RM and LST versions and sprinkles the song with magic.
2. Viva - this one sounds so heartfelt and the segway into Both Ends Burning is always nothing short of a thrill.
3. RM - not just for the completely out of leftfield sound that still sounds as original and experimental today as it did then, but for the oh so Noel Coward delivery. Simply sumptuous.
4. LST - by no means a poor fourth - great arrangement and vocal but simply outshone by the calibre of the other three.

OK that's that one sorted. Move along now, nothing more to see here. Next please Monsieur Windswept. :D

Hedonistic Hipsters,

W2 feels that he has been flayed to within an inch of his life with a feather boa!

Cela dit it is not without justification. To leave the 'Viva' version out is pure negligence and he is hanging his head in shame. Heureusement Teresa, doc & UKRichard set him straight.

Although W2 maintains his preference for the Le Grand Rex version. It has to be said the Viva take is something else and as UKRichard said the segway into 'Both Ends Burning' is beyond good so that's what we should do now.

Windswept is the proud custodian of four versions:

Siren 1975 (VO)

Viva 1976

Heart Still Beating 1990

Roxy Music Live 2003

The original - is W2's favourite track on this LP but its slower tempo and lack of backing vocals makes it noticeably different to the live versions that were to follow.

Viva - with its quicker tempo, sublime sax and great vocals - both lead and backing never fails to move W2 from chair dancing to full fandango mode. The album also benefits from a sleeve that features our hero in GI mode - a sartorial masterstroke.

Heart Still Beating - is a slightly different take with an organ intro and additional percussion but it doesn't have Viva's energy and for whatever reason Andy is not on the same form.

Roxy Music Live - although this is W2's favourite live LP and features Roxy's strongest ever line up. They do a good version that was dramatically enhanced by Ferry's harmonica solo and the live presence of their tremendous dancing show girls.

Given that all Ferry is good Ferry (sauf IYLSE) we have to search for excellence and W2 gives it to Viva - it's just amazing.

Sans les filles 2003's live version is next up. Then the VO and finally Heart Still Beating - a version that W2 doesn't think brings a whole lot to the party.

Mais, this is W2's truth - now tell him yours.

Salutations,

Windswept

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next