VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: In Your Mind '77
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am 

I was doing my A levels when this record came out.
I still love it, I've written on here before about how it swings with a swagger and an energy ; and then he completely changed tack within a year or so with The Bride Striiped Bare.
I'm going to continue to celebrate this man's songwriting genius until I pass.

Post subject: Re: In Your Mind '77
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

My favorite solo album, by far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:57 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Windswept salutes avalon_eyes's enthusiasm for IYM and hopes that its release during his 'A' Levels propelled him to academic fruition!

His assertion that it has swagger and swing is well founded. The fact that it was the first solo album comprising original songs also makes it quite special. It certainly has some great songs and like all things Ferry is impeccably played and well produced.

Wether all of this justifies Bill's view that it is Jesmond Dene's finest solo album is altogether another question. Clearly for him it is.

Windswept's conclusion: 'In My Mind it is a good album but probably appeals more to the feather boa brigade than fans of the noir quartet. But all Ferry is good Ferry (sauf IYLSE) - play it till your heart is contented. The best track is IYM itself and it has to be said there isn't a weak one on the album'.

Salutations & Ferry On !

W2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 pm 
Site Owner

My least favourite Ferry album.

J. O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 pm 

Quote:
My least favourite Ferry album

...mine too, although I've always passionately loved the lead single (and accompanying video) and the wonderfully rambling "Love Me Madly Again". Guitar heaven.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:51 am 

For me, the album In Your Mind has some great tracks and also some not so great (or at least not interesting to me)

Nowadays when I play the album on my trusty boombox I start with LMMA and then tolerate Toyko Joe (sometimes I just skip past it) and then find enjoyment in Party Doll, Rock of Ages, and the song IYM.

These latter three tracks are a great trio. I remember back in the 70s side two would be on the turntable and I would groove to these three tracks over and over in the comfort of my first apartment (Room 208) Oh to be young again. Or even to be "strollin' through the summer of [my] years.... Those were the days...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am 

DCJ wrote:
Nowadays when I play the album on my trusty boombox I start with LMMA and then tolerate Toyko Joe (sometimes I just skip past it) and then find enjoyment in Party Doll, Rock of Ages, and the song IYM.

Not to forget All Night Operator (Ferry songwriting at its best) and One Kiss (he didn't write that much songs in six-eight time). In Your Mind is a wonderful album apart from the cover and the poor single records This Is Tomorrow and Tokyo Joe :roll: .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

Bonsoir, comment allez-vous?
In the 90s, when I was living in Tokyo, the song Tokyo Joe became a huge hit thanks to a weekly teve series. BF was flown in only to perform that song, by chance I watched it on telly. Guess he earned quite a lot of yen for that!
In my ears - I am not a music expert like pianoman! - IYM could have been a RM album hadn 't it been for Odell's strings. With the exception of Avalon, I have listened to it more than any of the RM;s albums. Comme presque toujours, je suis d'accord avec W2, it is a very good album but not as good as the "noirs"! And what a set of musicians it features!
Bonne soirée à tous!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:15 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Bonsoir, comment allez-vous?
In the 90s, when I was living in Tokyo, the song Tokyo Joe became a huge hit thanks to a weekly teve series. BF was flown in only to perform that song, by chance I watched it on telly. Guess he earned quite a lot of yen for that!
Bonne soirée à tous!

According to Billboard Magazine, (2 Aug 1997).

'... Nor were there any overseas entries among the period's, [half-year, Jan-Jun 1997?], highest ranked singles and albums, reflecting the considerable sales gap in Japan between domestic and international repertoire... The top international single was Bryan Ferry's "Tokyo Joe" (Toshiba-EMI) at 97,000 copies; the recording was used as the opening theme of a Japanese TV Drama.'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 am 

Oberon wrote:
... IYM could have been a RM album hadn 't it been for Odell's strings.

Oh, yes, the strings! I would kill for a Film '82 style remix of Love Me Madly Again.