VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The music of time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am 

And it's funny how times slips away......

Let's say Roxy were big in 1973, when I was 14. We are still talking about them in 2017.
It's like my parents, when I was 14, going on about a band which was big in 1929! I would have thought they were deluded, but it seems fine to us!

Gotta go now.....

Post subject: Re: The music of time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:27 pm 

I often think about this too.

I recall when Lennon died, one of the music papers had a lovely story where there were some girls on a Liverpool bus crying, and this old guy turned and said " I was the same when George Formby died."

Such pathos from the old guy. I loved the idea of Formby being compared to Lennon. George Harrison would have laughed.

I think the thing is, "popular music" was in its infancy in the 20th century, as we grow older our heroes have still remained relevant and the media reflects this, we were the kids then, but now "control" the media, and nostalgia, while sentimental, is also our joy.

And, we appreciate the older stuff cos of its emotive power on our young selves.

My dad adored Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra, I do too, and if me dad was alive today he would be first up at a "do" if Dance Away came on, he loved Roxy too, and especially loved Bryan's These Foolish Things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:20 pm 

I like to think I learnt or 'got' Roxy Music before I learnt any Latin or French at school. Or any O level.
Guess what I still know more about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 pm 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

In a strange way, VivaVoce's post highlights the paradox of 'The Baby Boomer' insomuch as they are the only generation, to Windswept's knowledge, who's parents and children both tell them that they never had it so good !

If your children start telling you the same as your parents, it's time to acknowledge that they both can't be wrong.

That said, back in 1972, not all was well in Blighty : we had the extremely violent miners strike, there were power cuts, and we had a three day working week. On the world stage, things weren't that much better. we had the Munich Massacre and the start of Watergate. Not the most positive of scenarios.

Despite all of the above, W2 was having the time of his life. If it was Monday, Wednesday or Friday, it was 'Annabel's'. Saturday was reserved for Redcar's 'The Top Deck' and on Sunday, he could be found either at 'The Kirk' or 'Redcar Jazz Club'. Tuesday and Thursday were reserved for sleep and the washing of his well coiffured Barnett.

In truth, his only real concerns were: how was he going to find the money to slake his latest sartorial desires at 'Marcus Price' ? Would his wheels hold out ? Would the power cuts close the clubs? And how was his love life holding up ?

Just when things couldn't get any better, on Sunday 4th June 1972, W2 marched into 'Redcar Jazz Club to see a band who looked like they'd arrived from outer space lug their gear onto stage and strike up. Within nano seconds they transported us to another world. To hell with the miner's strike. My mum was right we'd never had it so good.

Forty five years latter, it's not just W2 who listens to the album that formed the foundation to that set. It's his thirty six year old son.

Windswept thinks they must have been doing something right and he wonders if jay z and Beyonce will be played by his grand daughter in 2072 ?

Salutations,
W2

Last edited by Windswept2 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm 

Fifty five years latter...

Let's not wish our lives away; it was only a piffling 45 years ago! :lol:

That said, if back then you'd told this spotty pre-teenager that he'd one day meet all five of the musical heroes pictured on the inside cover of his favourite album (FYP) and that the signed and framed artwork would grace a wall in Casa Smudge, you'd probably have risked being sectioned under the Mental Health Act! ;)

But then it would have stretched the most vivid imaginations if you'd said that the Roxy guys and so many of their contemporaries (e.g. the Stones, McCartney, Floyd, Genesis, Rod the Mod etc. etc.) would still be musically active now.

If you'd added that Elton John would be knighted, Cat Stevens would be a prominent religious figure and that Iggy Pop & Keith Richards would even be alive today...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pm 

Despite all the power cuts, Tories in power, a real feeling of us and them....in '73 we had Sunderland AFC, a second division club at the time, without a single full international footy player in their ranks, winning the FA Cup, beating Man. City (the favourites) in the fifth round, then Arsenal (the favourites) in the semi-final, and then the hated dirty Leeds (mega favourites) in the final.

Plus Red Rum winning the Grand National again.

All this and FYP and These Foolish Things.

Our kids could never know a year like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:38 pm 

For what it's worth, what lovely observations everyone. Really interesting..........