VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Manifesto-The Song
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 am 

This came up in another thread...what a great song. Avant-garde intro. Horns that remind me of ocean liners and such.

But, the way the track begins...is that supposed to be an intentional record skipping sound? Back in the day, I thought that I had a deffective LP. But then, when I heard it on cd...voila...same thing.

What say ye??

Post subject: Re: Manifesto-The Song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 am 

I couldn't wait for Roxy to reform, but it was obvious it was going to lean more towards a POP sound in 1979. Rushed to Piccadilly Records on a Saturday morning, then back home to play it on the stereo. First track, Manifesto was a real statement, were back, very moody, great lyrics. I still love the song. unfortunately the rest of the album didn't live up to the opening track, although as time has passed I have enjoyed the album more and more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm 

The first time I heard Trash I didn’t even realise it was Roxy until the guy in the record shop I was in asked me what I thought of it. I was a regular and he knew I was a fan. As for the album love the title track and much prefer the versions of Dance Away and Angel Eyes that we’re on the early pressings. Far better than the singles. I still have the picture disc of the album too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 am 

... shall never forget driving through London late one evening, and Capital Radio played a few songs from the new Album Manifesto. What excitement, and a great personal memory that was.... the beginning of the titel song, simply a classic...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Owner

I think they are one of his top 3 lyrics, inspired by I Am For An Art by Claes Oldenberg

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/songs_312.php

What I like this song musically is that like a lot of earlier Roxy stuff there is no form to the song it doesn't have the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus middle 8/verse/repeating chorus like a lot of songs. Despite the lack of form it flows really well.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 pm 

Agree totally JOB - IMHO it is up there with the best Roxy tunes and your point about form reflects most of Roxy's early work

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I think they are one of his top 3 lyrics, inspired by I Am For An Art by Claes Oldenberg

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/songs_312.php

What I like this song musically is that like a lot of earlier Roxy stuff there is no form to the song it doesn't have the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus middle 8/verse/repeating chorus like a lot of songs. Despite the lack of form it flows really well.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:10 am 

Much like the tune Sentimental Fool (another brilliant one btw) the song Manifesto builds slowly and almost materializes. Hallucinatory one might say.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm 

I agree with JOB that Manifesto is among BF's top lyrics and that it harkens back to the style and structure of the first RM album.

To me it also marks the end of BF's "deep toned voice" - this quality is especially noticeably and various live versions of the song as played on the '70 tour. Hereafter BF's "high range" voice comes to the fore...

After 38 years would he bring it back as the opening track for the 2018 Tour? That would be pretty cool, and its not beyond the realm of possibility because with the great instrumental intro it is ideally suited as the first song at a concert. Much better than The Main Thing in my book!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 pm 

I still love Manifesto and depending on the day of the week, it's in my top ten Roxy songs. That spacey intro, the crashing guitar, the fretless bass, the honking horns; it's among their most adventurous stuff. It set up the first side so well, it's a shame the other side is among their weakest, (with the exception of Spin Me Round).