VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Tours UK in 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:34 pm 

I would be surprised if the 2018 Brit/Ireland Tour features a big string section simply because of the economic implications. As it is BF tours with a pretty big band of top flight musicians and sound crew. Adding even more musicians to the expense column doesn't seem likely IMO.

Like Dylan, I think BF is now engaged in "The Never Ending Tour" which just keeps going and (slightly) evolving year after year after year. As he announced to the world in Avonmore he'll never fall in love again; as a consequence, touring gives his life a structure and purpose; something to focus his energies on in both the short term and long term. Also, touring is the only way that musicians can get compensated for their labor in the Internet/Streaming Era. His voice will only get evermore fragile, but he'll continue to tour so long as he is physically able to mount the stage and perform for his loyal fans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:53 pm 

DCJ wrote:

I would be surprised if the 2018 Brit/Ireland Tour features a big string section simply because of the economic implications.....

Like Dylan, I think BF is now engaged in "The Never Ending Tour" which just keeps going and (slightly) evolving year after year after year......

......but he'll continue to tour so long as he is physically able to mount the stage and perform for his loyal fans.

Cher DCJ,

ATGB was a 15 piece. Last year's set-up was an 11 piece. Not a huge difference n'est ce pas ? Particularly when you consider the increased ticket price.

Of course, touring with a full orchestra is impractical. But there is a full residential philharmonic in just about every city he is playing in the UK
and when he uses a full orchestra, he uses the local one. In Dublin for instance he used the RTE.

That said, my guess will be that he will choose the tour theme and set list and then put together the line up that can play his selection.

But we will see what we will see.

On the last point... yes, W2 violently agrees with DCJ.... he will tour as long as he is able and hopefully it will be for many years to come!

Salutations,
An excited Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:12 pm 

DCJ: Like Dylan, I think BF is now engaged in "The Never Ending Tour" which just keeps going and (slightly) evolving year after year after year. As he announced to the world in Avonmore he'll never fall in love again; as a consequence, touring gives his life a structure and purpose; something to focus his energies on in both the short term and long term. Also, touring is the only way that musicians can get compensated for their labor in the Internet/Streaming Era. His voice will only get evermore fragile, but he'll continue to tour so long as he is physically able to mount the stage and perform for his loyal fans.

A very good analysis of the professional and private state Bryan is in, DCJ. Anyway, I hope he will find the perfect finish for his "Never Ending Tour" ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:07 pm 

I'm So Excited,

I'll be coming back to Blighty :lol:
To see Bryan at Newcastle on Sunday April 15th...

I love it when he goes home, I'll be so happy to see him again, and visit my friends

Last edited by teresa on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm 

Weird how the Hammersmith gig seemed to be almost sold out in seconds. At about 9.02 I was offered seats in the back row. Better luck at the good old Newcastle City Hall, however. As people say, it's odd to be booking without much clue about the show. Still, at least you didn't have to buy a cd with it this time!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm 

I'm in the States and won't be making the trek across the pond for any of these shows. Nonetheless I was interested in seeing how ticket sales were proceeding for the various venues so I visited the Gigs and Tours site in order to see what seats were available for various venues.

I was surprised (dismayed is probably a better word) that prospective purchasers are not shown exactly what seats are still available in various price ranges, but rather are "told" what is the best seat available; Buyers seemingly have no choice but to accept or reject this seat with no sense of what other seat alternatives might be available. For the recent USA tours prospective ticket buyers have been able to view a seat chart of the venue and see precisely what seatshave been sold and which are still open.

We're told ad nausea what a powerful tool The Internet is, so why can't ticket buyers be empowered to make their own decision as to what is the best available ticket in a given price range???

Yes, I'm just a cranky old man... But this just doesn't seem right given the ticket prices being asked... BTW this is not a criticism directed toward BF; it relates to the promoter/ticket seller.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 pm 

Thanks DCJ, that's very interesting. I find this conundrum, how bothered the star is about the fans, quite compelling. BF has written songs which have touched us all deeply. If we're honest, he affected our younger selves. We continue to support him partly to keep in touch with those younger selves, and partly out of genuine respect and affection for the man who had that impact on us.
BF has, deservedly, lived a life of great luxury and pleasure (putting to one side the emotional torment!). When these tours are lined up I suspect he is, by choice, well removed from the detail. I believe there will be someone saying "Bryan, it's £50k per show for you" and that will be about it. He won't know the ticket prices, but nor will he send to know. This is the slight disappointment. Before I transferred my affections to Roxy my young heart was with T.Rex. Marc was a flawed but hugely appealing artist at the time (as you know). He insisted, for a long time, that ticket prices would not exceed 75p.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 am 

DCJ wrote:

.....I was surprised (dismayed is probably a better word) that prospective purchasers are not shown exactly what seats are still available in various price ranges, but rather are "told" what is the best seat available; Buyers seemingly have no choice but to accept or reject this seat with no sense of what other seat alternatives might be available. For the recent USA tours prospective ticket buyers have been able to view a seat chart of the venue and see precisely what seatshave been sold and which are still open.....

Cher DCJ,

You aren't wrong, the whole business of ticket sales in the UK is a complete bordel!

Indeed it is such a mess, with fans being ripped off left right and centre, that the whole issue finished up in Parliament. Where, of course, comme d'habitude, our political brethren failed to find any kind of solution.

There are ways of mitigating the situation if you know your way around the system but for the average Joe it's something of a lottery.

The technology exists to resolve the situation but it's not in the interests of the ticket sellers to invest and implement and even mega artists who care massively about the issue, notably Adel, have failed to make any real impact on the situation.

Ferry's tickets pretty much sold out immediately because they were sucked up by scalpers with their bots and will be re-sold at inflated prices over the months that come - a sad state of affairs.

To what extent artists benefit from this is unclear. They all protest their abhorrence but some protesteth too much and doubtless take seats as part of their deal and release them on the second hand market when the price is at the zenith.

At the end of the day it's a question of supply and demand and one thing's for sure, I've never been to a Ferry concert in Europe or the US (but I only attended in NYC) that was not completely sold out. And, the only time I've ever attended a Roxy concert that wasn't sold out was in '03 in NYC (when arguably they returned too soon after their '01 triumph) and in '12 in Australia when their Antipodean promoter made a complete Horlicks of ticket sales.

Doubtless next year's UK leg will be the same - sold out!

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am 

Uwe wrote:
Hopefully we may see the return of Colin Good
Sorry WS2:

I hope we doesn`t see him on this or every other tour. My opinion.

Haha Uwe. I totally agree with you. It’s been a well humoured bone of contention with my good friend WS2 over the years. But as the great WS2 says...."it’s a broad church"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm 

DCJ wrote:
A tie-in with the release of a CD of the '74 RAH Concert seems quite plausible, but it's always hard to figure what BF has planned. The Deluxe RM First Album has been awaited so long that I feel that anticipating something BF MIGHT do is an exercise fraught with peril!

The Brit tour 2018 venues strike me as quite sizable and if he can fill them up he will be doing quite well. My sense of the 2017 US concerts was that the front of the house was nicely filled, but not so much the back of the house.

Perhaps the 2018 gigs will feature some tunes that haven't been played in a while, but it seems to me that the last half of the concert will conform to the familiar "hits" format. That's what most of his fans want to hear and he will not disappoint.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the band for 2018. Perhaps the problems that prevented TGPT from joining the 2017 tour will be resolved and he'll be able to join in for 2018. Luke Bullen is a good drummer but it would be nice for TGPT to join BF again. And if the '74 RAH gig is to be released as a CD it would make sense to have TGPT back on the skins. But this is just conjecture.

Finally, I would be happy to see the return of Colin Good.

I've already asked Paul if it was possible he would be on the 2018 tour and regrettably his answer was "unlikely".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next