VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music FYP Tour DVD??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm 

True2Life wrote:

Never say never but I would have thought the commercial incentives for continuing to revive Roxy as a touring entity must be waning by now, especially as Bryan has been so active in touring and playing this same material in recent years. Had RM9 emerged in the last decade and been a success things might have been different.

Hedonistic Hipsters,

'True2Life' sums it up nicely.

Windswept has not been unhappy with the evolution of things:

RM 2001 (Madison Square) - Fabulous, the absolute best fandango.

RM 2003 (Radio City) - Good but same set list. Didn't sell out. Band
looked slightly bored.

RM 2012 (Sydney) - Great set list. As always note perfect but the vibe. Oh dear.

By contrast, our hero's solo career has never put a foot wrong.

Some time ago, W2 thinks that BF alluded to the fact that of course, he could fill bigger locations with Roxy but revenue aside, these aren't the venues he prefers.

Today, its also probably fair to say that his style is better showcased in medium sized concert halls. Certainly they are the type of venues W2 prefers to see him in anyway.

RM9 may have altered the course of things but by all accounts it didn't get out of the blocks. Would it have been a better project than Olympia or Avonmore ? W2 thinks not but qui sait ?

a bientôt,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 pm 

I recall the 2005 gig in Camden which was superb.
And 2010 in my neighbourhood at Lovebox, Victoria Park. Memorable, by the pale moon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:51 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
The Siren tour footage has survived and looks good enough to be included a potential 'Siren' deluxe edition if that was ever to be a plan.

J.O'B.

Thanks for that information John :D

I saw Roxy at Birmingham Bingley Hall (now defunct) on that tour and it's probably still one of my favourite gigs. IMHO it was around that time that Phil was establishing himself as a stand out guitar player. I would love to ask him about that tour. He didn't seem to have a pedal board and so had to go over to his amp to up the volume before a solo (there's a version of "Editions of You" on youtube where a roadie has to do this for him!). Diamond Head and Mainstream were released at a similar time too :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:34 pm 

Roxy Music is dead sadly and will only exist on the albums they have already released

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 pm 

Richard wrote:
Roxy Music is dead sadly and will only exist on the albums they have already released

Quite possibly true, but we should be grateful for the fact that solo projects don't seem to be drying up. I think Phil in particular is going through a great spell in his musical career :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 am 

Richard wrote:

a recent interview with Phil (linked somewhere on here) suggests otherwise. Paraphrasing (from the interview--based on memory): That's just the way we are (meaning periods of inactivity). We could start it up again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:49 pm 

Roger wrote:
Richard wrote:

Quite possibly true, but we should be grateful for the fact that solo projects don't seem to be drying up. I think Phil in particular is going through a great spell in his musical career :D

Agree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 pm 

Robertron wrote:
Richard wrote:

a recent interview with Phil (linked somewhere on here) suggests otherwise. Paraphrasing (from the interview--based on memory): That's just the way we are (meaning periods of inactivity). We could start it up again tomorrow.

I hope you are right but I can't see it myself sadly