VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan Ferry Live 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm 

Ok, now we're well into January I am going to ponder on what form the 2018 set list will take.
No new material to showcase, I assume, and the Roxy lite/great hits set has been toured extensvely, between 2015-2017.
Time will tell. I'm hoping for a proper Ferry-fest , likely to be full of readymades, both new and old.

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Live 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:46 pm 

I’m hoping for some 70’s solo classics. Hard Rain, This is Tomorrow, Price of Love, Another Time Another Place, In Your Mind. Not holding my breath though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:55 pm 

Bonsoir, mes amis!

I was so pleased with the show in Krakow last year, so I am not hoping for any dramatic changes. Please keep Bête noir and Windswept in the set list - the better if it means that Marina Moore will stay in the band!
According th his website, Chris Spedding will join in, thanks for that. I take it for granted that Jorja, the star besides our hero, will be there.
A couple of wishes, though: Don't want to know, Fool for love, Running wild, Reason or Rhyme and, as opener, I put a spell on you.
Paris, à bientot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm 

Mes Amis,

Le printemps est proche and every Ferryista's heart turns to the new set list.

Given that our hero has Fandangoed 'The Greatest' crowd pleasing set list to death, Windswept lui-meme is hoping that this time around, we will have something for the more discerning worshipper.

To this end, W2 is making the controversial recommendation that our concentrates solely on his solo back catalogue and would propose the following set list:

1. I Put A Spell On You (at Oberon's request)
2. The Tracks Of My Tears
3. When She Walks In The Room
4. Carrickfergus
5. In Your Mind
6. Don't Want To Know (at Oberon's request plus it's a good idea)
7. N.Y.C
8. Crazy Love
9. Chain Reaction
10.Casanova (1976 solo version)

**** Wardrobe change & Comfort break ****

11.Another Time, Another Place (backing singers do intro, hero enters
for "Drive Down Any Highway **)
12.The Name Of The Game
13.Smoke Get's In Your Eyes
14.All Tomorrow's Parties
15.Johnny & Mary
16.Limbo
17.The In Crowd
18.Hold On I'm Coming
19.Move On Up.

*** Encore ***

20. Sign Of The Times
21. What Goes On
23. A Hard Rain''s A Gonna Fall

From a sartorial perspective W2 is hoping for a more classic approach a la AEWBF and from a set perspective let's see a return of the cinematic back-drop.

Windswept knows that this proposal will have 'Feather Boa Lovers' ringing their hands in frustration mais mes amis you will have the de-luxe album to console you !

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm 

Whether it happens or not its a fantastic set list and wil stay in my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm 

WS2: Lots of great tunes in your set list and I hope your desires prove prescient.

Unfortunately I think the "Greatest Hits" package (with evolving tweaks) will remain the name of the game for the foreseeable future. Too many fans would go home disappointed if he made a "deep album dive" into his solo catalog and left a bunch of Roxy Faves on the cutting room floor...

At this point in his career I think he is paying close attention to how much a particular tune might tax (or overtax) his vocal cords. He can't afford to let throat problems impede his success in completing the spring tour without any gig cancellations, so he'll tend towards songs that don't push his vocal limits. Sigh.

But that doesn't mean he won't be able to put on a good show, even if more than a few tracks prove to be very familiar...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:08 am 

I'd love to see a solo-laden or entirely solo setlist - it's what, in part, makes Roxy gigs that bit more special. With only minor exception it doesn't happen the other way round - Roxy have only quite rarely performed BF solo material. As for peddling the hits, BF has enough of these under his own name to carry a show.
The balance has been too Roxy of late. It's not that I don't want to hear these songs, just that if you're going out on the road with a repertoire of predominantly RM material then do it with Roxy.
BF should be bold and embrace the solo back catalogue he's been so keen to establish over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
BF should be bold and embrace the solo back catalogue he's been so keen to establish over the years.

Hipsters,
UKRichard is correct. The last truly innovative tour was AEWBF in 2013.
W2 is praying to the Roxy Gods that 2018 will see our hero turn the page again.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm 

30 years ago Ferry solo shows were predominantly "solo shows" but as we all know they have morphed into Roxy Hits shows. Don't get me wrong, the Roxy classics are great to hear but how many more times will I pay to hear Love Drug, Jealous Guy, etc. These, while hits, to me are not even the deep true classics. I do note that he did 4 songs from the first Roxy album however.
I like W2 set list and if he were to be even close I would be the first to hop over the pond to come see a UK show, but I highly doubt it will be even close. Rather I expect the usual Roxy Hits tour with a handful of changes from the 2017 USA tour. I also agree with the comment on choosing those that are easier on the throat. Can't say I blame him at 71. There is a reason that Fonzi is there.
Its been 3 years since Avonmore....does he have another solo album left in him ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm 

cpl5938 wrote:
..... I also agree with the comment on choosing those that are easier on the throat. Can't say I blame him at 71. There is a reason that Fonzi is there.
Its been 3 years since Avonmore....does he have another solo album left in him ?

Fanatical Fandangoists,

cp15938 makes some excellent points.

However, W2 thinks that our hero's attachment to his favourites is probably driven by his desire to please and put on a good show rather than vocal considerations.

Albeit he (windswept) is no technical vocal expert - other than knowing what he likes - mark you the importance and value of Fonzi apparent.

Maybe his attachment to a hand full of favourites could be misguided
and his audiences may have more of a taste for pure Ferry and the avant-garde than he recognises.

In any event, we'll shortly find out.

With regard to another album, Windswept thinks yes but perhaps not in the format we expect.

Salutations,

Windswept