VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry on tour 2018
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 am 

Roger wrote:
A review I wrote in 2014:

"Time to remove the blurriness Bryan - Roxy songs at Roxy gigs (if there are ever any more) and solo material at your gigs please!”

To be fair, there were Roxy songs right from the earliest solo tours. 'A Really Good Time' in the 1974 mini-tour & 'Love is the Drug' & 'Could it Happen to Me' in the In Your Mind tour. I must admit I wasn't happy with Bryan sneaking a couple of solo efforts into the Siren tour, but Andy & Phil each got to play a sole piece as well. My main gripe on the Siren tour, was that it was fine to include 4 non-Roxy songs, but play an extra 4 Roxy songs as well.

And let's remember that 90 plus percent of Roxy songs are 'Ferry songs first & Roxy songs second, as he wrote them and sung on them. What next, Macca not being allowed to perform Beatles songs, & Clapton not being allowed to perform Cream songs?

If anything, I would say there is more of an issue with the solo material Bryan chooses to perform rather than the number of Roxy songs included. Much as the ardent fan might applaud him for including the likes of 'Boys & Girls' 'Zamba' & 'Mamouna', I'm sure the more casual fan would find them less than inspiring.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm 

Alan wrote:
Roger wrote:
A review I wrote in 2014:

"Time to remove the blurriness Bryan - Roxy songs at Roxy gigs (if there are ever any more) and solo material at your gigs please!”

........And let's remember that 90 plus percent of Roxy songs are 'Ferry songs first & Roxy songs second, as he wrote them and sung on them.....

If anything, I would say there is more of an issue with the solo material Bryan chooses to perform.......Much as the ardent fan might applaud him for including the likes of 'Boys & Girls' 'Zamba' & 'Mamouna', I'm sure the more casual fan would find them less than inspiring.

Hopeful Hepcats,

An interesting debate.

W2 agrees with Roger that 'Ferry is Roxy and Roxy is Ferry'. They are his songs and he can and does play them as and when he wants and in any style he likes.

Where Windswept disagrees is over 'the fan pleasing argument' pertaining to solo set lists.

Three of the most positive audience reactions that W2 has seen Ferry get was with the ATGB, Frantic & AEWBF shows.

In every instance, not only were the set lists highly eclectic (they are available to look at on this site), in two of the aforementioned shows he took brave decisions with regard to arrangements and band composition.

Windswept saw ATGB in Paris, Frantic in NYC & AEWBF in Brighton. So not always in front of a home crowd and in every instance, he brought the house down.

But, make no mistake, these were musically highly intricate performances that would have required a huge amount of rehearsal time and, with their extensive line-ups and high production values, would have been very expensive to stage.

That said, when you've done it, you've done it and you've forever set the action standard that you will be judged by.

The bar is extremely high but it is he that has set it.

Will the current show live up to 'Peak Ferry'.

Nous allons voir ce que nous allons voir and Windswept will keep his powder dry until after London.

Maybe one guitar and a massive key board line up produces a very different and special sound ?

Salutations et bon fandango a tous.

W2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm 

I couldn’t agree more.

Roxy songs on Roxy tours.

BF has so many staggeringly good songs from his solo career to perform that I would expect no ore than two Roxy songs in a Ferry show - Jealous Guy (which hardly counts anyway) and perhaps Love is the Drug, as he did on the Dylanesque tour - which was quite simply outstanding: one song from every BF solo album IIRC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:26 am 

Very little in the comments here I can disagree with. Having attended Manchester last night, I had high hopes (having avoided all reviews thus far) but left rather crestfallen. The tour was fanfared as "new" and the promotional material suggested something special but the rather stagnant setlist and 'rock' delivery just didn't live up to this.
We've been promised the RAH '74 release for ages and I was really expecting this to be a tour to promote that release (the whole tux theme for the tour fitted well with that not unreasonable assumption) and for this to be the occasion I'd hear a number of songs fom the early solo years for the first time (my first gig not being until '75) but alas I was wrong. Furthermore I shudder to think what our Saville Row correspondent W2 will make of the clothing (with jeans aside, I've never understood brown shoes with black, grey or the ultimate mistake blue trousers) - no tux, not even a tie, so couldn't be further removed from those expectations again.
All that said it was a good night because all Ferry is good Ferry. Spedding was superb, BF was in pretty good voice and he received a truly rapturous reception - to my mind, strikingly so - which was great to witness.
It seems it'll be some time yet before the highs of AEWBF or ATGB are repeated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am 

I was at Manchester on Friday night and I have to say in the main it was great. If all the hits weren’t played I would leave disappointed. I was there with 2 non fans and they thought it was great. If it had been a set full of post Boys and Girls solo stuff the crowd would have been quiet and my pals would have probably been bored rigid. Bryan knows he has to include the crowd pleasers as they always get the best response and maybe he actually likes and wants to play them. I would tweak the set a bit though. Gone would be Bitter Sweet, Zamba, Bette Noir and Jealous Guy and in would be This is Tomorrow, In Your Mind, Hard Rain and ATAP. So onto Glasgow on Tuesday. Will still be good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am 

UKRichard wrote:

........ Furthermore I shudder to think what our Saville Row correspondent W2 will make of the clothing.......

Sartorial Supremos,

Quel bordel !

Although W2 is keeping his powder dry on the music front until after London, he concurs completely with UKRichard on the sartorial.

Windswept was shocked when he saw this outfit at Hampton Court last year and was relieved when our hero discarded it at half time in favour of a beautiful A&S number.

At that juncture, W2 dismissed this rare styling faux pas as either an ill advised attempt to honour the Court's Tudor heritage or, an early audition for panto.

We also know that our hero has a wicked sense of humour and there is always the possibility that he wore it as a joke.

Its unwelcome return has Windswept reaching for the salts but he remains optimistic that 'The Bonny Lad' will regain his status as our sartorial sensei.

We have been to the brink before with the 'Bolero' outfit and our hero bounced back to establish himself as the Cary Grant of rock.

Hope springs eternal and hopefully this jacket will be returned to Engelbert Humperdink before the London show.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

The jacket does seem to for want of a better word bulky.I prefer the black and red striped ensemble from the earlier avonmore tour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 am 

Chers amis!

After watching some clips on youtube of poor quality, I think our hero looks fine, but why on earth are the choir girls dressed as if they were on their way to a session of pilates instead of taking the stage?
As for the sound, it seems to be good. I think even our poor friends suffering from the fairly serious disease roxymania must admitt that Jorja, the black panther, is a treat for the senses. Someone wrote that the classics sounded better than before. I think I know why: Marina Moore. Her violin is a silver lining to this ensemble.
Enjoy the shows in UK!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm 

why on earth are the choir girls dressed as if they were on their way to a session of pilates instead of taking the stage?

Why on earth:

* Didn't Bryan Ferry change his wardrobe?
* Does he always play the same setlist?
* Are the comments on this forum so mild about this topic?

Questions, questions....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm 

We know not why....

The band are unrehearsed in alternative material, though the lineup is different. To my mind , this tour is too soon after the US one last year, and the remnants of the Avonmore tour. Ferry has been working on the Berlin Babylon series and the Roxy Music SDE, so he’s got nothing new in the canon. He always was slow in the studio, save for perhaps Taxi and Dylanesque.
There is no doubt he is inventive, creative but perhaps not at the same level as his younger self, and I think he ran out of time to plan a radical reworking of the Roxy Music story, or create a new Bryan Ferry story . Nothing from this century as someone pointed out.
And nothing from this century trailblazed the pop charts.
The set list does seem more static than usual and maybe his personal musical directors are not making their impact felt. Why not play to your strengths, he might think , it pleases the audience.
I think the shows are all generally well received, so he has maintained critical and audience acclaim.
Vive Bryan Ferry, we still love him. ( save for one or two).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next