VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry on tour 2018
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 pm 

Crikey, I'm amazed at the lack of excitement this tour is generating. The forum is pretty dead, considering. I enjoyed the show in Newcastle and I'm looking forward to Hammersmith, but I also felt a bit silly to be jumping up for the same old finale. I also find Bryan's lack of chat more and more embarrassing as I get older. He can't be that shy and these people have shelled out £75.
In contrast, I saw Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel a few weeks ago. Not really in the same league as BF but a wonderful show. He still has people he's worked with since the start and there was an obvious chemistry. Moreover, he had recently had hip surgery so hobbled on with a crutch and sat throughout. But he chatted and was really funny and quite philosophical. I enjoyed that much more, but perhaps I'm just getting bored with BF, after all these decades. And feeling taken for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
But he chatted and was really funny and quite philosophical. I enjoyed that much more.

I went to a Roxy Music tribute act (Roxy Magic) last week in Liverpool and definitely enjoyed it more than my last Ferry gig. Much better engagement w/the audience for a start but it also felt like they were enjoying themselves more rather than just going through the motions like BF.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:52 pm 

I really get that, Dean. When you are basically playing songs from the last century, which most people there have heard you perform many times, you have to throw something else into the mix. There are points in the show when a song ends, and the audience is almost willing him to say something, but he nearly always backs away. It wouldn't take much......a few memories.......I remember when I was here with Roxy in 1975 and ............thanks so much for coming out to see us tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 am 

I am not at all surprised at the lack of excitement on here that this tour has generated so far. When it was announced last autumn it was trumpeted as a brand new show, as if there was some recognition by Team Ferry that things needed freshening up to satisfy the faithful. Yet here we are 6 months on and it is the same old same old show, albeit with only one guitar and a bassoon as though that justifies the set-list paralysis. Perhaps this should have been termed the Going Through The Motions Tour? Or the Flogging A Dead Horse Tour? Ferry and (most of) the band have played these songs so many times they must be able to play them in their sleep. As the great man's powers fade it can only be a matter of time before the set-list consists only of LST, LITD and JG and then we all go home. Perhaps he will further twist the knife by adding an encore of IYLSE? just to torment WS2? :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 am 

I agree.........sorry, my post wasn't very well drafted. I really meant; isn't it sad that this tour is such that it's generating no excitement whatsoever!
I remember seeing Springsteen at Wembley a few years back. A few songs in he suddenly said "Now we'd like to play "Darkness on the edge of town" start to finish". Just an unexpected twist. Imagine if BF said we're going to play "For your pleasure" all the way through. It would just lift the whole thing so much (putting aside the Roxy/BF debate).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm 

It's an ongoing dilemma. BF will always want newer fans (or those that have not seen him live before) and to those he feels obligated (perhaps) to play the requisite ensemble (those 5 or so tunes). Unless it would cause a major problem, why not a set (at an alternate/smaller venue) in which the entire set is rarities (geared towards the long-time rabid fan (like myself)? In the same mode as the RM FYP tour (still waitin' on a dvd/blu-ray on that one btw). 8-) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

Smudge wrote:
I am hoping for my three shows not to have the exact same set list!

While fans may want a polished performance, they probably don't want to book for two or more shows in quick succession (the London ones being the obvious example, but many fans will go to Glasgow & Edinburgh and maybe Newcastle too...) and feel like they've seen exactly the same show repeated.

That’s why I have just been going to one gig on a tour rather than the full Newcastle/Glasgow/Edinburgh section. It would be seriously diminishing returns to splash out for all 3 just to see almost exactly the same show 3 times in 5 nights. However, I am now questioning whether even this restricted diet is worth it given the lack of variation in the set list from tour to tour.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 am 

I hear the criticism of the setlist for the current tour but like any successful artist with a catalogue stretching back many decades, it's always a balance between satisfying the committed and more casual fan.

I only saw one show this tour and that was in Edinburgh (long sold out) last week. Apart from (in my opinion) the drums being too loud for the first 4 or 5 songs, it was a highly enjoyable experience. A truly fantastic audience helped enormously of course (hence the addition of a rousing "Hold On I'm Coming" to finish).

When Bryan finally stood back, arms fully outstretched with a huge grin, mirrored by the all standing audience (balcony included) he can only think he did a great job - and he did!

This tour or no tour, that's easy, I'm just glad he's fit, well and enjoying performing.

Last edited by roxydude on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:38 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
Crikey, I'm amazed at the lack of excitement this tour is generating.

I'm not, it's neither fish nor foul is it? A Ferry gig in which more than half the set are Roxy songs? It's like going to see a band that still contains 'one original member'!

In fact, it's a Roxy Music tribute band led by the original lead singer :lol:

I say save your money and go see Roxy Magic or Roxy Musique.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:08 pm 

I saw BF live in 2014 and again in 2016. I enjoyed the concerts, but I thought at the time that if I had brought someone along who hadn't been aware of BF or Roxy previously (here in the States such a person would not be hard to find) then they would wonder "what's the big deal?"

As I've watched on youtube clips from 2017 and this year BF still assembles a good band and they deliver a quality music experience. But at the core the wonderful voice of Mr. Ferry is gone, replaced by something that - while not totally absent of merit - is but a shadow of what it once was.

I'm glad that the people who are attending his sold out shows this spring are having a good time. Youtube clips show that he is connecting with his audience and that's a great thing. But for me, I have no regrets that I won't be experiencing him in concert this year or presumably anytime in the foreseeable future.

Lest you think I'm just some cranky naysayer, rest assured I'll be near the head of the line when the fabled RAH '74 LIVE cd finally appears sometime in the next decade or two... That will be great!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next