VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Even if the much-hoped for RAH release had emerged it's hard to see many of the songs from that set-list being played live again now for Ferry's 2018 audience. Apart from Hard Rain, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and In-Crowd few if any of these songs have been played by him for many years and would surely prompt bafflement from the casual fans waiting for LST and LITD.

You may be right about how likely solo tracks from 73/4 would have been, it's just the tour artwork, suggestion of the album and promise of a 'new show' led this fan to think it probable. As for baffling the casual fan, I doubt any selection from that period would baffle the self same person more than Zamba (yawn), Bête Noire or STTY - the euphoria that greets the latter here is a constant mystery to me!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 pm 

I really didn`t know if I should post this. Nevertheless, it will my 2 cents:
-Hmm, yes, all the casual fans... It`s a nostalgia act for reliving their youth. They are out there in spades. It`s enough for any singer to make a living. Are they fans? -Hardly. They want a night out. They don`t even need a babysitter `cause their children are grown up. "He needs a theme". -Hmm, I`m not sure. A new album affects the set list only to a limited degree. Orchestra and stuff? We`ve had it.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 pm 

Agree with you le freak about the casual fans, who probably appeared around the time of "Avalon". It's very, very sad when people continue to live in or try to recreate the past in any situation, but it certainly seems to be happening here. Guys we are living in the present and the future is coming. Learn from the past, but don't crave it.

IMHO these shows are BF/Roxy greatest hits shows and should be treated as such.

As you say Orchestra and strings are old hat and would only add to the cost of the band, a thing that BF seems to be on top of, such as no Neil Hubbard, although I like the concept of one guitarist doing his own thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
Even if the much-hoped for RAH release had emerged it's hard to see many of the songs from that set-list being played live again now for Ferry's 2018 audience. Apart from Hard Rain, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and In-Crowd few if any of these songs have been played by him for many years and would surely prompt bafflement from the casual fans waiting for LST and LITD.

You may be right about how likely solo tracks from 73/4 would have been, it's just the tour artwork, suggestion of the album and promise of a 'new show' led this fan to think it probable. As for baffling the casual fan, I doubt any selection from that period would baffle the self same person more than Zamba (yawn), Bête Noire or STTY - the euphoria that greets the latter here is a constant mystery to me!

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

IWNSHO, songs from the first two albums could make a great centre piece for an ATAP tour.

W2 has seen every Roxy/Ferry tour ever undertaken and even a couple of GB gigs and can report that with the exception of the '01 to '03 Roxy re-union, set lists have always changed with every tour. Furthermore, every show he has ever attended has ended in rapturous applause. Now this could have been because Windswept was in attendance but he thinks not !

There is therefore absolutely no precedent that our hero has to play certain songs to get a result. If anything, history would dictate the reverse. This reoccurring theme has no foundation. It's a choice. It could be a choice because other plans fell through but it's a choice nonetheless.

The current tour is very commercial Ferry. It is extremely well played and certainly worth the ticket price.

Indeed, as there was only one UK gig last year (Hampton Court), it could even be argued that the current set list is new for all that didn't attend that. This explanation won't hold when he hits main land Europe as he toured extensively there in 2017. It could be that it is they that get the new set list. W2 wishes our European brethren bon chance.

The issue for Windswept's perspective is that although he can boogie along to commercial Ferry with the best chair dancers, his strong preference is for 'Peak' Ferry and looks forward to being wafted away into the next opium den of innovation.

He has every confidence that 'The Bonny Lad' has it and many more in him. Perhaps we will get the 'Babylon Berlin' tour ?

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 am 

Roger wrote:
Agree with you le freak about the casual fans, who probably appeared around the time of "Avalon". It's very, very sad when people continue to live in or try to recreate the past in any situation, but it certainly seems to be happening here. Guys we are living in the present and the future is coming. Learn from the past, but don't crave it.

As you say Orchestra and strings are old hat and would only add to the cost of the band, a thing that BF seems to be on top of, such as no Neil Hubbard, although I like the concept of one guitarist doing his own thing.

I was a little disappointed with Ferry's voice, the sound wasn't that good either, and it galls me hearing Roxy Music numbers played not by Roxy Music.

But yes, the audience were a little unusual (and I don't mean finding chef Rick Stein in the gents either!) Many around me clearly didn't know any of the songs, many were post Avaloners, but it was telling that the 'Roxy rule ok' numbers were the ones with the biggest reception.

And by the way, it was also telling that attempts to get the ROXY...ROXY...ROXYY... chant going fell on deaf ears! (Then I suppose Viva! was before Avalon?)

Highlight of the whole evening? CHRIS SPEDDING who was amazing throughout and I would have happily paid the admission price for him alone.

Low of the night? That Jorja woman that has just learned all the Emperor's solos note for note but replicates them without an ounce of feeling!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Roger wrote:

I was a little disappointed with Ferry's voice, the sound wasn't that good either, and it galls me hearing Roxy Music numbers played not by Roxy Music.

But yes, the audience were a little unusual (and I don't mean finding chef Rick Stein in the gents either!) Many around me clearly didn't know any of the songs, many were post Avaloners, but it was telling that the 'Roxy rule ok' numbers were the ones with the biggest reception.

And by the way, it was also telling that attempts to get the ROXY...ROXY...ROXYY... chant going fell on deaf ears! (Then I suppose Viva! was before Avalon?)

Highlight of the whole evening? CHRIS SPEDDING who was amazing throughout and I would have happily paid the admission price for him alone.

Low of the night? That Jorja woman that has just learned all the Emperor's solos note for note but replicates them without an ounce of feeling!

Couldn't agree more about that sax-girl. Finally someone who gets it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:05 am 

Quote:
that sax-girl

Quote:
That Jorga woman

I see diversity is alive and well here.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:18 am 

Well spotted, UKRichard.
I thought Jorja Chalmers brought style to the show and added real depth to the sound.

Last edited by avalon_eyes on Sat May 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 am 

Agreed avalon_eyes. She's a stylish and accomplished musician. I do think her playing lacks the soul Andy brings to the same pieces but criticising it for being note for note the same? Change it and you're into (for those in the UK) classic Morecambe and Wise territory - "playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Well spotted, UKRichard.
I thought Jorje Chalmer brought style to the show and added real depth to the sound.

Mes Amis,
W2 couldn't agree more with the ever tasteful avalon_eyes.
Jorja Chalmers' playing is beyond good.
With the exception of AEWBF, she has played with our hero on every tour since 2011 and has made an enormous contribution on Sax, Clarinet and keys.
Of course, many songs she plays on have never been played by Andy Mackay so comparisons are only partly relevant but when she does play Roxy songs, she is every bit his equal. As she was when she played alongside him on the FYP tour.
Rumour has it that she has a solo album out shortly and W2 can't wait to get his paws on it.
Evidently Andy Mackay has already pre-ordered his !
Salutations,
Windswept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next