VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Eddie Jobson
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:55 am 

This is tangential to the live at the Royal Albert Hall record , hence a new strand .
Jobson’s contribution to Stranded , These Foolish Things and this , and Roxy’s , live performances are simply incredible I’m assuming he’s playing the piano pieces across the record. We all recognise this but I just wanted to remind myself too that this guy replaced , if you like, Brian Eno.
What an act to follow and at such a young age. Viva Mr. Jobson!!

Post subject: Re: Eddie Jobson
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 pm 

Avalon Eyes,

Agree with you 100% - EJ is a fine musician!

When he replaced Eno he had to endure several things - BF aside, the members of Roxy were Eno's friend and didn't want him to go. Most Roxy fans were sad to see him go too. EJ was a different animal - a classically trained player of outstanding ability. For BF, his rival for attention had gone and with EJ on keyboards he could become a true frontman.

My only reservation about EJ was that his violin had to be fitted in somewhere, often at a cost to Phil.

Curved Air, Roxy/BF, UK, Yes - he's done it all!

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm 

Totally agree. This recent live album triggered the same thought for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm 

Roger wrote:
Avalon Eyes,

Agree with you 100% - EJ is a fine musician!

When he replaced Eno he had to endure several things - BF aside, the members of Roxy were Eno's friend and didn't want him to go. Most Roxy fans were sad to see him go too. EJ was a different animal - a classically trained player of outstanding ability. For BF, his rival for attention had gone and with EJ on keyboards he could become a true frontman.

My only reservation about EJ was that his violin had to be fitted in somewhere, often at a cost to Phil.

Curved Air, Roxy/BF, UK, Yes - he's done it all!

Roger

Very good post, Roger. Eddie Jobson was the most talented and best trained musician in this band ever. Nevertheless, when he replaced Eno, my teenager world collapsed because Roxy wasn't as experimental and cool as before.

Today I can see that Stranded is a fantastic album and Eno's absence isn't an issue any more. His violin solo on OOTB is still recreated at Bryan's solo shows. And BF's As The World Turns is an absolute masterpiece. Chapeau, Eddie!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:44 pm 

Ah, Eddie Jobson - as roxymusicsongs hurtles towards 'Stranded' we'll be taking a closer look at EJ's considerable contribution to Roxy.

In the meantime we kick things off with EJ's considerable contribution to These Foolish Things, where it appears he was an all-in-one orchestral session band: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (https://roxymusicsongs.com/2019/03/21/a-hard-rains-a-gonna-fall/

Enjoy!
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm 

roxymusicsongs wrote:
Ah, Eddie Jobson - as roxymusicsongs hurtles towards 'Stranded' we'll be taking a closer look at EJ's considerable contribution to Roxy.

In the meantime we kick things off with EJ's considerable contribution to These Foolish Things, where it appears he was an all-in-one orchestral session band: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (https://roxymusicsongs.com/2019/03/21/a-hard-rains-a-gonna-fall/

Enjoy!
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

Mes Amis,
What a fabulous appreciation of BF’s work this is.
Intelligent, insightful and completely absorbing.
I do hope our hero is reading Kevin’s work.
It is truly great.
Salutations a tous,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:37 pm 

Ah, Windswept - you are truly, as they say in literary circles, the "reader over my shoulder". I appreciate your kind words.

As for the great man himself reading the blog - I did receive a very nice email from Isaac Ferry congratulating me on the research and writing. I was thrilled.

On towards 'Standed' - can't wait!
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:25 pm 

roxymusicsongs wrote:
Ah, Windswept - you are truly, as they say in literary circles, the "reader over my shoulder". I appreciate your kind words.

As for the great man himself reading the blog - I did receive a very nice email from Isaac Ferry congratulating me on the research and writing. I was thrilled.

On towards 'Standed' - can't wait!
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

Cher Kevin,
Isaac is a nice guy. If he is writing you can bet the farm that ‘The Taste Tarantula ‘ is reading it !
Your work is truly impressive and I do hope this is building into a book ?
Encore un fois - bravo !
W2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:05 pm 

Windswept, thank you for confirming the familial line and influence from Ferry to Ferry - a wonderful thought that the 'Bogus Man' himself might be reading. Fantastic!

Nevertheless, as we move forward, it is equally exciting to see the Roxy story transform equally into the the story of Andy, Phil, Eddie, Paul, and much more besides. The solo worlds of Eno and Manzanera blister and shape beyond recognition - timeless treasures.

A book .. yes .. definitely. But first - the horror of the unknown - the unwritten page must be addressed.

Thank you, spread the word
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 pm 

Jobson clearly had a huge influence on a These Foolish Things and the RAH performance.
I’m wondering how much he played on the Roxy Music re-makes that became Ferry B sides and the Let’s Stick Together album . Some of these tracks are simply spectacular ., Chance Meeting, Sea Breezes, 2HB.
Was Ferry banishing Eno?