VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Albums gone from streaming services
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:52 pm 

Seems like at least Mamouna, Taxi and Béte Noire have been removed from streaming. They are not on Tidal or Spotify.
Record company problems?

Maybe J.O'B knows anything about it..?

Uwe2

Post subject: Re: Albums gone from streaming services
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:01 pm 

Ha.. maybe there is a box set coming down the line... we could all buy them again , couldn't we ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 pm 
Site Owner

Uwe2 wrote:
Seems like at least Mamouna, Taxi and Béte Noire have been removed from streaming. They are not on Tidal or Spotify.
Record company problems?

Maybe J.O'B knows anything about it..?

Uwe2

Sorry I don't know anything about it. I have never used or liked streaming services.

It takes 174,000 hits on a song for someone to be paid by Spotify 8 hours pay at the UK minimum rate.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 am 

I have noticed this for other artists as well as Roxy/Bryan - albums occasionally disappear and then come back. For the artists I listen to it tends to be albums released on Virgin and they also tend to go off Apple Music at the same time as Spotify so I guess it relates to licensing issues.
Unlike J.O.B. I find my listening is now almost entirely via streaming (despite having about 3000 CDs and albums now gathering dust including usually 3 copies of each Roxy album). This was not a planned thing on my behalf but just where my habits drifted, I particularly like the ability to listen to a really wide variety of music that I wouldn’t be able to otherwise. I spent lockdown going through he book 1001 Classic Albums and found some gems that I otherwise would not have heard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:54 pm 

Today Mamouna, Taxi and Béte Noire have reapeared on streaming sevices! Tough Don’t Stop The Dance is still missing from B&G. Well who can understand the politics of streaming..

It seems most members on this board prefer to consume their music the traditional way. I understand that, and I, like all members here, have already bought the all BF/RM albums many many times in different formats.
I just turned 50 and on concerts I think that my presence lowers the mean age of the concertgoers..?
I understand that for many artists there is not a lot of money in streaming, but in 2020 what are the other alternatives if you want your music to be heard by a new generation?

Anyway, I am hoping for a vaccine as soon as possible so the live shows next year can take place. I am still saddened about my unused tickets from RAH from mars the 13. this year..

Take care
Uwe2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:48 am 
Site Owner

I am just about to release some music that I have been working on with a writing partner.

We are looking at all the options for the release, including Spotify (of which I do not subscribe to or any streaming service.) It seems a necessary evil to put the music there.

We recorded the music in my home studio that cost a few pounds to put together and we also did a video for the song which will be released at the end of next month.

I looked at the first cut at the weekend and I use one of the 4 keyboards I owned in the video. It made me think about if this was my full time job. I bought that particular keyboard/digital piano second hand and even at second hand value it will take almost 2 million hits on Spotify to just to buy that one piece of equipment never mind every thing else I used to record the track.

The easy access to recorded music over the last 10 years or so means musicians do not make any money from that medium anymore or at least cover their costs. This is why live music tickets are so expensive now and why there are so many festivals popped up over the last 10-15 years.

As you all know live music is a complete no-go just now due to COVID and won't be for a long time. I am fortunate that music is not my main income and I do it more for the passion of playing live and creating music.

However, there are many musicians who solely rely on their music income to not only create the music they make for us to absorb and enjoy, music to become the soundtrack to our lives etc. They also make this music to pay the mortgage, feed their children etc. Yes there are people like Elton John. Ed Sheerin, etc etc making millions but there are a huge amount of people just making an ordinary working person's wage from recorded music.....or used to. Someone is making money from the streaming subscriptions but I don't think it's the vast amount of musicians who have to put their music on there.

Until COVID19 is out the way and live music can happen again, a lot of musicians/technicians/sound engineers etc will just have to hope that there are 2500 hits on streaming for every £1 of their mortgage every month.

At one point while working in Studio One on the deluxe edition of Roxy Music I came across an advert for the album on release and it was £2.09. I then looked online and I could have bought the CD 1999 remaster for £4.99 so in real terms hard copies of music have never been so cheep. I bought a 5CD box set of Robert Palmer albums for £10. Like I said...recorded music has never been so cheep.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:26 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:

"However, there are many musicians who solely rely on their music income to not only create the music they make for us to absorb and enjoy, music to become the soundtrack to our lives etc. They also make this music to pay the mortgage, feed their children etc. Yes there are people like Elton John. Ed Sheerin, etc etc making millions but there are a huge amount of people just making an ordinary working person's wage from recorded music.....or used to."

J.O'B.

Hipsters,
J.O'B makes a very salient point.
Not so long ago, BBCR4 dedicated a program to asking "Will the professional musician exist in 10 years time ?"
W2 can't remember all of the participants but one was Jarvis Cocker.
The conclusion was yes but the full time workforce would decrease by at least 70% compared with today (and this was pre-COVID which undoubtedly puts even more pressure on the performing arts) and that the vast, vast majority of professionals will have to find another main income stream.
A sad conclusion but Windswept fears it to be an accurate one.
Salutations,
W2