VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Bowie thing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 pm 

Hello everyone,

Quite happy to take the brickbats if this is the wrong place?

There’s been a lot about the anniversary of DB’s passing over the last weekend. Obviously a hugely significant artist. As is our hero. And I’m totally sure that BF will live to a ripe old age given his healthy geordie roots.

I’m feeling quite aggrieved that I don’t think BF has quite the same level of cultural resonance as DB when in my opinion the best of BF/RM has at least the same quality as the best of DB (as a fan I think more).

Is it just that DB was a less shy character? There’s been a lot about Bowie being chummy with Ricky Gervais in a way you just couldn’t see BF embracing.

But my God our recent polls have made me appreciate the genius of the RM/BF catalogue.

Post subject: Re: The Bowie thing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 am 

Cher, VivaVoce,

Don´t worry, our hero is far better in all aspects than DB! Of course, all this is subjective. Although I can hear that DB has made some interesting music - Low, Heroes -, it meant very little to me. While BF;s music is warm and so colourful, DB;s seems so cold and grey.
Bonne journée!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 pm 

Bowie has made some great albums, but that in itself doesn`t say much. He has never been afraid to brash out, to rock. Besides, he has taken some chances with the easy sides of Low and Heroes.

He has been called a copy cat, but who ain`t? Scary Monsters and Alladin Sane are my two favourites. Then comes Station to Station, before Low and Heroes.

What he did later, I haven`t cared much about. I have simply not heard them, aside from Let`s Dance. -And the albums before those mentioned above? Less arty, I`d say.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:09 pm 

Bowie was a fascinating individual who knew how to keep the press intrigued; BF seems to be a far more private man and that may be one reason why their respective profiles are markedly different.

The music issue is, of course, more subjective for all of us; I liked Bowie as a live act, but the only studio albums I've kept (in a collection of over 10,000) are Ziggy and Station To Station. All the others seemed to me to have more filler than killer tracks.

With Roxy and BF, on the other hand, I have to have everything, even if (prepares for the collective throwing up of hands in abject horror!) the dozen years between Avalon and Mamouna feature rather less in my playlist than what came before (especially) and afterwards. I wouldn't want to even imagine a life without the first four Roxy albums!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:42 pm 

VivaVoce: Is it just that DB was a less shy character?

Somehow yes. When I watched LiveAid with some friends in 1985 I was up to show them what a great show Bryan Ferry would deliver. In fact he was shy, ran through some of his new B+G songs and didn't address the public more than hello goodbye. Then came Bowie. He wore a white suit, thrilled the public with Let's Dance and entertained his world wide fanbase perfectly. At that time I wished BF could have presented his songs that way ...

Bowie: In the 70s I liked some songs, Starman, John I'm Only Dancing, Sorrow + Heroes (German version). But I really enjoyed his late work from the mid 90s on. He was inventive, creative and composed really good material. I bought every album in this period. My favourite Bowie song: The Man Who Sold The World (a trip hop version live with Eno 1995).

I can understand every diehard Bowie fan - but I'm from the Roxy/Ferry fraction 8-) :D .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:21 pm 

[quote="VivaVoce”]

.........I’m feeling quite aggrieved that I don’t think BF has quite the same level of cultural resonance as DB .......[/quote]

Cher VivaVoce,
Don’t be aggrieved.
Things are viewed differently posthumously.
The 24 hour media together with the Twitterati would be capable of canonising ‘The Bay City Rollers’ !
Not that Bowie was The Rollers but W2 is sure you get the point.
Hopefully we are a very long way off a posthumous analysis of our hero’s work. Indeed, Windswept hopes and prays that he has many healthy, wealthy and productive years ahead.
Speaking personally, I liked some of Bowie’s music. My favourite being his last album, ‘Blackstar’.
That said, all Ferry Is Good Ferry (except IYLSE) and he will always be a huge part of the soundtrack of my life.
Salutations,
Windswept.