VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: In Praise Of Let’s Stick Together: 1976
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 am 

Dean wrote:
Disagree completely re You Go To My Head W2. For me this is quintessential BF and a wonderfully successful extension of the lounge lizard image he began conveying so successfully on the ATAP cover. I love the languid cool of his version and the world weary vocal. The video shot in his Holland Park home complements the whole thing perfectly, particularly the hint of 70’s sleaze that bubbles under so much of his work at this time. I’m aware he revisited this song during the ATGB sessions when he was aiming for more faithful renditions but this also equates to less thrilling IMHO when there’s less of his own stamp on it.

Furloughed Ferryistas & Locked Up Lotharios,

Windswept violently agrees with Jesmond Dean that our hero’s interpretation of YGTMH has a fabulous “Languid Cool” and yes, the video featuring the delectable Ms.Muller is a ‘70s classic that oozes glamour.

Mais listenable and original as this version is, it just doesn’t scale the heights of TFT or SGIYE (his two prior classic ready mades ) or the renditions of the other songs that were to come on the fabulous ATGB LP.

It’s also telling that to the best of Windswept’s extensive but incomplete knowledge, The Bonny Lad has never performed this song “live” whilst TFT and others have become regular features in his sets. Maybe this shows he knows it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi ?

Forensic analysis by Windswept proves futile :

Sometimes he thinks TGPT’s drumming is too heavy (sacrilege) but other times feels it adds drama to the song.

Sometimes Spedding’s guitar feels out of place. Other times it feels essential to the modernity of the version and certainly gives the take dynamic sleeze appeal.

Maybe if our hero is dialling in from his Sussex lair he could release the ATGB version, unlock J O’B from his omertà and put Windswept out of his agony - he would pay a King’s ransom or at least the price of a Chavet necktie to hear that take !

Meanwhile W2 has to live on feeling that his favourite artist has not delivered his favourite version of one of his favourite songs. Sacred bleu!

Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Dean wrote:
Disagree completely re You Go To My Head W2. For me this is quintessential BF and a wonderfully successful extension of the lounge lizard image he began conveying so successfully on the ATAP cover. I love the languid cool of his version and the world weary vocal. The video shot in his Holland Park home complements the whole thing perfectly, particularly the hint of 70’s sleaze that bubbles under so much of his work at this time. I’m aware he revisited this song during the ATGB sessions when he was aiming for more faithful renditions but this also equates to less thrilling IMHO when there’s less of his own stamp on it.

Furloughed Ferryistas & Locked Up Lotharios,

Windswept violently agrees with Jesmond Dean that our hero’s interpretation of YGTMH has a fabulous “Languid Cool” and yes, the video featuring the delectable Ms.Muller is a ‘70s classic that oozes glamour.

Mais listenable and original as this version is, it just doesn’t scale the heights of TFT or SGIYE (his two prior classic ready mades ) or the renditions of the other songs that were to come on the fabulous ATGB LP.

It’s also telling that to the best of Windswept’s extensive but incomplete knowledge, The Bonny Lad has never performed this song “live” whilst TFT and others have become staples in his sets. Maybe this shows he knows it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi ?

Sometimes he thinks TGPT’s drumming is too heavy (sacrilege) but other times feels it adds drama to the song.

Sometimes Spedding’s guitar feels out of place. Other times it feels essential to the modernity of the version and certainly gives the take dynamic sleeze appeal.

Maybe other renowned Roxologists and fidel Ferryistas could air their views ?

Meanwhile, if our hero is dialling in from his Sussex lair he could release the ATGB version. It would unlock J O’B from his omertà and put Windswept out of his agony - fans would doubtless pay a King’s ransom or at least the price of a Chavet necktie to hear that take !

Until then, W2 has to live on feeling that his favourite artist has not delivered his favourite version of one of his favourite songs. Quel bordel !

Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:22 pm 
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:

Maybe if our hero is dialling in from his Sussex lair he could release the ATGB version, unlock J O’B from his omertà and put Windswept out of his agony .

I have never been tied to or asked to apply any sort of silence, it's just common sense for me to respect that that is what would be expected of me.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:28 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:

Maybe if our hero is dialling in from his Sussex lair he could release the ATGB version, unlock J O’B from his omertà and put Windswept out of his agony .

I have never been tied to or asked to apply any sort of silence, it's just common sense for me to respect that that is what would be expected of me.

J.O'B.

Cher J.O’B,
Windswept would never suggest otherwise. He merely suggests that should our hero request you to discuss the ATGB version, you might participate.
Omertà is (unless somebody has signed an NDA ) by definition self imposed and I’m sure that team Ferry appreciate your discretion.
Albeit this is a discussion ‘FORUM’ - the clue is in the name.
Meanwhile, I’d repeat my appeal that the ATGB version be released. It may make W2 vraiment heureux !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:

It’s also telling that to the best of Windswept’s extensive but incomplete knowledge, The Bonny Lad has never performed this song “live” whilst TFT and others have become regular features in his sets. Maybe this shows he knows it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi ?

Maybe if our hero is dialling in from his Sussex lair he could release the ATGB version, unlock J O’B from his omertà and put Windswept out of his agony - he would pay a King’s ransom or at least the price of a Chavet necktie to hear that take !

Glad to hear you're not entirely averse to YGTMH either then W2 and I like the pros and cons you've presented about various aspects of the song. BF did indeed perform it live on the In Your Mind tour in 1977 and I've only recently discovered these online, which made me appreciate the song all the more:

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanp ... 951670954/

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanp ... 940268156/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY9ih9nhcOc

I remember a copy of the ATGB sessions that included BF's updated take on YGTMH popping up on eBay years ago but I've never seen another of those. It would be nice to hear it for the sake of comparison but I doubt that it would provide us with any great surprises. Am much more intrigued by some of BF's other unreleased projects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:24 pm 

Another cover from this time which did and still can fill me with joy is Shame Shame Shame. It's easy to overlook ... Yet I remember, at the time, it being the stand out for me on Extended Play - It has a sense of humour and again I love his knowing delivery ... unknown to me (at such a tender age) was the secret cover of Marvin Gaye's 'Can't get a witness' hidden in it's midst .. Whenever I hear him singing and the girls weaving in and out with this bonus song it always fills me with good cheer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:53 pm 

Dean wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:

Glad to hear you're not entirely averse to YGTMH either then W2 and I like the pros and cons you've presented about various aspects of the song. BF did indeed perform it live on the In Your Mind tour in 1977 and I've only recently discovered these online, which made me appreciate the song all the more:

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanp ... 951670954/

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanp ... 940268156/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY9ih9nhcOc

I remember a copy of the ATGB sessions that included BF's updated take on YGTMH popping up on eBay years ago but I've never seen another of those. It would be nice to hear it for the sake of comparison but I doubt that it would provide us with any great surprises. Am much more intrigued by some of BF's other unreleased projects.

Cher Jesmond Dean,
No, W2 is absolutely not adverse to it. He plays it quite a lot. It’s just that this and ‘Sympathy For The Devil’ are the only two Ferry ‘Ready Mades’ where W2 actually prefers the originals. In every other instance, it’s always the Ferry versions that are played the most in the Windswept household.
Ultimately it is probably the triumph of the ATGB album that makes him yearn for a more jazz infused take. The version of YGTMH that Windswept probably plays most is actually Louis Armstrong’s.
It’s funny that you mention an edition of ATGB that included YGTMH. Windswept was trying to remember where he’d heard that there was another version. Maybe that was it.
Regarding YGTMH ‘live’ - clearly he has played it but when Windswept saw the IYM show show at Newcastle’s City Hall, he could swear it wasn’t in the set but, it’s all a long time ago and he could be mistaken. Albeit he does remember that show quite well as it was initially cancelled because ‘The Bonny Lad ‘ was ill.
Good to know that there is another version out there. If any renowned Ferryista has it, could they please reach out. Windswept will ply them with beverages of their choice for a copy.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:32 am 

Regarding YGTMH ‘live’ - clearly he has played it but when Windswept saw the IYM show show at Newcastle’s City Hall, he could swear it wasn’t in the set but, it’s all a long time ago and he could be mistaken. Albeit he does remember that show quite well as it was initially cancelled because ‘The Bonny Lad ‘ was ill.

Good to know that there is another version out there. If any renowned Ferryista has it, could they please reach out. Windswept will ply them with beverages of their choice for a copy.

I can confirm from my own collection that YGTMH was played at several venues on the 1977 tour (yes, including Newcastle, Windswept2!). I'm not sure if it's a copy from one of those shows that is sought (in which case W2 is welcome to send me a private message) or from a later vintage?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm 

I always loved the fact that Bryan remade his own Roxy songs from the beginning of his solo career, and, for me, the LST album (imported at the time) was a godsend as I had lost the opportunity to buy some of his early singles.

Sea Breezes and Shame Shame Shame always get the juices flowing.

You Go To My Head, however, is, in my opinion, weak. I recall Eno was guest "new singles" reviewer at the Melody Maker the week it came out and he thought he'd been put up for a fall. He said something like "Ol' blue hair is back...the strings are fairly nice....It leaves me tepid." I agree.

The video - a song video was a rarity at the time - was subsequently aired on the naff BBC regional early evening news magazine "Nationwide" - presented by Val Singleton & clones and blokes in garish check sports jackets and Falcon hairspray quiffs - while the country's next Bryan wannabees ate their tinned ravioli or toast toppers and watched Kari Ann cavorting like one of Mr. Grace's assistants in "Are You Being Served!?" Cheesy ,cheap and dreadful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 pm 

The album was released in several overseas territories. It made #1 in the album charts in Australia & Holland, being certified platinum in both countries. The title tack reached #1 in Australia & #3 in Holland, where 'The Price of Love' also reached #5. 'Heart on my Sleeve' reached #80, (or 81, can never remember which) on Billboard singles chart in US.

The album charted high for an import in the UK; peaking at #19 and I remember it having an import sticker on the front; costing 50p more than a usual domestic release; and having ILPSX, (X for export) catalogue number rather than standard Island ILPS UK catalogue number.