VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BBC Radio 2 Roxy Music at 50 3 , 3 part series
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:32 pm 

I agree with WS2 that BF and the gang can't reinvent their early years just so they don't tell the same stories over and over... Pit Ponies! It's a fact that BF's father tended the PPs in the collieries! We might have heard it many times, but many people haven't... So it goes.

While much has been written about Roxy and its history, there is still a lot that remains "behind the curtain." For me, the book I would really like to read is one where Andy Mackay (who was there from the very beginning) delves into the business/financial aspects of Roxy and the band's relationship with EG Records/Management ("Make me a Deal...)". Because methinks herein lies the roots of all the tension between BF, AM, and PM that has defined the fraught and fractious nature of Roxy since 1983...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:55 pm 

Or perhaps it just may be band frictions that arise from time to time, although things like Eno not being credited for backing vocals etc may not have helped. As John Wetton said " being in a band is like being married to several women"!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:33 pm 

I thought they were great actually

My open request for a radio show/book/podcast would be much more proud the creative process in and out of the studio like the Classic Albums series.

Particularly interested in the first five and Avalon really.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:21 pm 

As others have said, it's hard to date the content but to my ageing ears it sounded very contemporary and I think every one of the core four cited the upcoming tour so I doubt much at all is from the archives.

I've listened to the first two (the third comprises contributions from musical fans) and they made for an entertaining couple of hours. Whilst professional frustrations and differences weren't by-passed, it was good to hear everyone speak very highly of each other. I think we've all detected a certain frostiness in the post-2001 outings that can cast a shadow over things, but there's undoubtedly still a strong bond between the group. Whether the rose-tinted glasses of 11 years largely apart is playing a part, I imagine only the upcoming tour will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:17 am 

Agreed! Same old questions. The poor man must be bored to the gills!

How about:

Is 'Sunset' the saddest song you've ever written?
Why do you think 'Spin Me Round' is over-looked in the Roxy catalog?
Why is 'Chance Meeting' so creepy if it's supposed to be based on romance drama Brief Encounter.

Etc.

Cheers
/k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm 

That's harsh. What about the wonderful reflections on 2HB, the FYP cover shoot, Song For Europe, LITD, Angel Eyes & Paul's departure from the band after Manifesto? Defo one of the more original Roxy docs.

Does anyone know who Andy & Phil reference in relation to the Studio 54 influence on Dance Away & Angel Eyes btw? Couldn't quite make out the name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:22 pm 

[quote="UKRichard” ……………Ithink we've all detected a certain frostiness in the post-2001 outings that can cast a shadow over things, but there's undoubtedly still a strong bond between the group. Whether the rose-tinted glasses of 11 years largely apart is playing a part, I imagine only the upcoming tour will tell.[/quote]

Hipsters,
Sage words from a thinking Roxologist.
After eleven years it must be like a school reunion.
Does anybody know if Colin Good is in the band ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:06 am 

I hope that they're having fun as a band getting a bunch of songs ready to play live. But you never know. The RRHOF reunion didn't seem like a particularly happy event for the band...

Hey, here's an idea! Why not get some video of the latest Roxy rehearsals and post it on Youtube! BF did it for Olympia (and also for his 30s/Jazz album I think). Seems pretty simple and a nice way to promote the tour. Why not?

I presume they're getting ready to commemorate the tour on a subsequent DVD and CD. But maybe it will only end up in the dustbin along with the video/memories of the 2011 tour... Time will tell I suppose...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:31 am 
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:
Does anybody know if Colin Good is in the band ?

Colin is not part of the 2022 band.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:41 pm 

I wholeheartedly agree with Dean - it’s well worth a listen, all three hours of it if you can. I would also say say mostly recorded this year as well, with the occasional regular quote being repeated, such as “Trash by name trash by nature” by Phil. Which is a bit harsh really but as he wrote it he can say what he likes about it.

To also answer Dean’s question the person mentioned by Phil and Andy about the Studio 54 era is the late Ahmet Ertegun cofounder and president of Atlantic Records (plus the New York Cosmos soccer team).