VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UNCUT magazine Feb 2011
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 pm 

Roxy on the cover and long article with B/W pics of recording sessions for debut album which I have never seen before. Plus some studio shots from first two album cover photo sessions. Also Graham Simpson and David O List short interviews.

Post subject: Re: UNCUT magazine Feb 2011
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 pm 

I tried to get one yesterday but it doesn't seem to be out yet?

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:31 am 

Got it in Sainsburys yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 pm 

fascinating.

it seems like there are two divergent camps inputing to the article. bf thought the andy/phil stuff uncompelling, andy/phil thought bf's stuff not so great.

maybe i'm misreading between the lines.

for me though, this suggests to me that the potential greatness promised by the line up + chris thomas, hinted at by the snippets shown on the documentarty, will not come to pass because of "musicial differences". shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:11 pm 

:?: Are you talking about the new recorded stuff? It`s depressing to hear that musical differences are stopping the album, if that`s what you`re saying. It seems that different sessions is talked about when we hear about the new recordings. Just think of Phil saying: "Some of it is fantastic", indicating that the lyrics are on board. Then Andy has said: "We recorded ten rocking tracks in the old way that still have no lyrics." Bryan is talking of instrumentals and soundtrack music. I remember the snippets in the documentary, at least after having seen the program twice. They were just sounds and grooves, - rythms, slightly reminicent of the song "The Main Thing".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm 

Yes I am, sadly. Of course, my interpretation may be wrong though. I was also excited to hear positive noises from Phil (I can't recall Andy commenting) about the album. But bf is quoted in uncut as being irritated that pm and am were talking about the album. PHIL says that the materrial failed to inspire bf to write lyrics etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 pm 

Anyway, either way, uncut February is worth a buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am 

Perhaps BF needs someone to overrule him and put him to work on lyrics! Did anyone hear the BBC Radio 6 two part history where Chris Thomas says he got BF to record the vocal for ‘Love Is The Drug’ and then informed BF that it had to be the single from Siren. BF was not pleased as he already had earmarked ‘Both End Burning’ as the first single but Thomas insisted and let him do one more vocal and comped the two takes together - voila!. Many major recording artists spend a lot of time just doing what they want if and when they feel like it and making the key decisions themselves when they really need someone to take control and give direction and deadlines - to boss them about to get the best result! Maybe BF wont allow anyone to at this stage and hence the stagnation of a new Roxy album. Ego satisfied, artistry sidelined!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:33 pm 

I have no idea why I care about Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry any more, except that there is something fascinating about the way that the principal players in Roxy have a bizarre love/hate relationship with one another. Or at least BF has a love/hate involvement with Roxy Music as a musical enterprise; ever proud of his relationship to the band and willing to tour as a part of Roxy, he nevertheless seems driven to separate himself from the band in order to highlight his own professional standing.

I would be much more sympathetic to BF's position if Olympia had turned out to be a good album. But - let's face the fact - it's a pretty bland concoction (at this point I'm inclined to think that the cover photo is the most intriguing aspect of the album! And I'm no Kate Moss fan that's fersure...). Maybe the Roxy tracks recorded back in 2005-06 are also pretty bland but they can't be less compelling than Olympia!

Who knows what tomorrow might bring...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:22 pm 

I think the points made in the earlier post about artists doing their own thing with nobody to reign them in very much sums up the situation with Mr. Ferry. According to the olympia sleeve notes Ferry is now co-managed by Isaac, he says that he doesn't want to be restricted by being in a band and the album is co-produced by two of his mates. Chris Thomas was involved with the Roxy sessions I believe and wouldn't have come cheap and historically has got Ferry to pull his finger out. If the recorded material isn't up to scratch for a Roxy album will Phil and Andy release the tracks themselves?