VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Metaphors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 pm 

I was fortunate enough to see Andy, Paul and the Metaphors at the Pigalle Club last November...did anyone else..?...and what's your verdict? I thought it was a brilliant night and it will be one of my all-time musical memories. Sitting at the next table to me was one P. Manzanera!

Post subject: Re: The Metaphors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:06 am 

I thought it was a fantastic night too, which I will never forget - it just kept getting better and better. We had the table immediately in front of Andy, which was pretty amazing! We were in front of Lee Sullivan, from Roxy Magic, who inspired me to start learning the sax, so I was sat between my two sax heroes. Then aferwards, we discovered that Colin Good and Phil were there as well and we managed to say hello to them and Andy and Paul as well. I was in seventh heaven by the end of the evening. The only downer was that Bryan wasn't there. I loved the music too and hope to hear more in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:41 am 

I saw them the first night (18th November) and I had a table with some friends right at the front too.

I loved the stuff they did and it was great to hear 'The Pride And The Pain' The gig made me think what a 1971-72 Roxy gig would have been like with lots of effects all linked up together with cables everywhere sometimes making the sound they want sometimes not.

I would love the 9th Roxy Music album to be as experimental as the whole Metaphors thing was.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 am 

Agreed on all counts! I was at "Metaphors night 2" and was also blown away by the Pride and the Pain...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 am 

You are all very lucky indeed to catch The Metaphors!!! I was hoping they would venture up to Manchester for a gig :( but never mind I love the album, its a stunning piece of work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am 

Fingers crossed Helen that the 'phors take in Madchester on their debut world tour. I'll be joining you at the MEN arena if they do! Regards, Kipper.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:54 pm 

Haha, well you got the MaDchester right Kipper not too sure about the 'Phors' taking on world stardom though.....nevertheless I will keep your seat warm just in case ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 pm 

i was there second night, table at front, next to manzo's table.

it's been really good to see andy (pigalle) and phil (Ronnie's) at these sorts of venues.

the food and service was much better imho at ronnie's

...andy and the metaphors were superb. great set list. pride and the pain: top. it reminded me just how much i love his stuff. i do think andy is hugely underrated for his contribution to roxy's best work.

he even kept the peerless Armchair Thriller in reserve. please andy, bring this back!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:43 am 

I was very disappointed not to be able to get to see Phil at Ronnie Scott's...perhaps next time...you and I must have been sitting close to each other at the Pigalle...I was on the single (sad!) table to the lefty of Phil's group, as looking at the stage.

Cheers

Kipper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:37 pm 

i was in front-ish of the keyboard player...admittedly with one table in front of us. just me and my wife. great gig. i wish i had gone to the exeter gig too.