VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Where's her home? Virginia Plain!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

What does everyone think of the Virginia Plain painting ? Assuming it is the real one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm 

IanS, I think we might all have lost track about how to register our preference. Didn't JOB say that the site is monitored by people close to the band and that our views are picked up on?

If that is the case then presumably the message should be pretty clear by now. However, for the avoidance of doubt, if somebody out there with influence is reading this then can we please have the 1971 demos in full on the deluxe version of the first album.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 pm 

Well,if enough of us push for it,we may get it. I'm just worried we may get some rubbish like , a remixed version of the first album or the re-recorded versions of 2HB, Chance Meeting , Remake and Sea Breezes that showed up on BF's Let's Stick Together album. Speak now,before they let us all down again !! This lot have "previous" !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm 

The Mamouna horse was OK if you're into Jane Austin and the travails of the landed gentry. But what was its relationship to The Music. I imagine the record company spent a lot of time saying to BF: Why do you want this to be the cover???

I've always liked the cover of In Your Mind. The lighting & the white t-shirt worked for me, especially as an antidote to the over-done Tux that IMHO killed any chance of BF reaching a mass audience in the States when Roxy was in their prime. Tux no; T-shirt yes!

I think that Frantic was a weak cover, and the fact that it used a photo that was over 10 years old didn't help.

Olympia has pretty good packaging, although it seems clear that The Rich Are Different/Fashionista Diva Theme it didn't connect with the mainstream Brit/Euro Public.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 pm 

What about the Virginia Plain painting ? Any opinions ? I think it looks a bit amateurish and clumsy. Or was it delibarate, in a Picasso way ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm 

I don't know very much about art but I think that Bryan definitely made the right decision when he decided to carve out a career in music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 pm 

Ian S wrote:
What about the Virginia Plain painting ? Any opinions ? I think it looks a bit amateurish and clumsy. Or was it delibarate, in a Picasso way ?

The painting looks like an unfinished idea that needs more work, and obviously doesn't match the glamour and multiple imagery and puns of the subsequent song....descriptions I've read about this watercolour included the "fact" the painting was a triple pun - the girl is called Virginia Plain, she's on a cigarette packet containing virginia plain tobacco, and the whole setting was a plain in Virginia - Can't see the third bit here. Another story I heard (from a former Newcastle art student), was that the girl was actually sitting on a huge cigarette packet in the desert plain.....and was like a giant billboard ad......and given the cover of the debut album I'd love to think this is the true version!

The Pop Art movement (and yes I am a former art student) heralded a lot of emphasis on ideas rather than developing traditional skills and craft, and some artists (and a helluva lot of us students) got away with promoting the idea above the skill and execution/presentation of the idea, which, generally speaking, only comes after years of practice.

Peter Blake, for example, when asked why so many of his "enigmatic" portraits looked unfinished, just admitted that he wasn't very good at painting eyes! Great guy.

Thesis over.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm 

The painting appears a bit crude/distressed but maybe that was the point.

When Pop Art is good it can be great (Gotta love the VU/Warhol Banana!!!). But if it falls a bit short then all the charm and interest quickly fades. I'm afraid that "Virginia Plain The Bryan Ferry Painting" falls in the latter category...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:40 pm 

The Management has all the money. They should also try
find this painting & not just have John be the gopher. Maybe
they are.

As a massive fan, I went on ebay I put out notes for the painting
the Forums there. I put out so many I got an email ebay telling me
I overdid it! :lol: Hear that MGMT?

No news.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm 

I think it's a sign of respect that BF's management asked JO'B for help in tracking the VP painting. They appreciate that he puts a lot of effort into VRM.com and that the site has a wide audience that might have the info they seek. I hope it works out...

I'm a bit surprised that BF and his crew let the VP painting get sold to some other party back in 2005. Given the iconic status that the song VP has in the history of Roxy I'm wondering when BF lost control of the painting in the first place.

Was it back in the 60s (before he was famous) or sometime later?

Did he sell it?

Give it away?

Leave it behind in a college dorm room/apt when he moved out?

Throw it in the trashbin where it was recovered by a Newcastle dumpster diver?

Forget it in a taxi?

Lose it to Lucy in the divorce?

Lose it when Jerry scooped up her stuff on the way over to Mick's?

Lose when Graham Simpson scooped up his stuff after getting the boot from Roxy?

Lose it when Rik Kenton stuffed it iinto his bass guitar case during a mean drunk?

Lose it when Eddie J. stuffed it into his violin case on his way to meet Frank Zappa?

Lose it to Dave Stewart in the Alphaville legal battles?

Trade it to Guy Pratt for the bass line to Kiss and Tell.

Trade it for a dream house inflatable doll?

Give it to the Bogus Man as a bribe for unspeakable favors?

Hmmm. I just don't know.... Any other ideas?