VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Eddie Jobson & John Wetton - UK tour date
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 pm 

J.O'B's announcement set me digging for details of the UK gig at Under The Bridge (at Chelsea F.C.).

The basic ticket price for the 24th May gig seems to be £38; maybe not the steepest by London standards, but broadly the same as the combined price I've paid for two July gigs (Gov't Mule & Mick Taylor) there.

I haven't visited the venue yet, but was told by phone that it was a small (600 capacity), all standing venue. I was therefore surprised to learn from various internet searches (i.e. venue, UK, Jobson & Wetton sites) that a £58 ticket is available which permits attendance at the late afternoon soundcheck, a meet & greet opportunity and a seat in the first four rows. :?

However, one search stated that the afternoon meet & greet would be with at least two band members (so conceivably neither EJ nor JW) and that there would be no post-gig meet & greet opportunity.

I seem to recall JW & Asia doing something similar for a gig at The Forum in Kentish Town a year or so ago, i.e. you had to buy a VIP ticket to stand any chance of getting anything signed by the band members.

I may still go to the UTB gig, but the extra info has taken the urgency out of the situation. Hope the extra info may prove useful to others too.

Post subject: Re: Eddie Jobson & John Wetton - UK tour date
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 pm 

Probably poor form to reply to my own post, but whatever...

Forked out my £40 and went along to the UK gig at UTB tonight; all things considered, I'm glad I did. Asking around, it didn't sound like the VIP ticket holders heard much of the soundcheck for their £60, although they did get a meet & greet session with Messrs Jobson & Wetton (only 10 mins in total with the latter, I was told).

It was the loudest gig I've been to in ages and the brightness of the stage lights was a bit much too, but there was some really good stuff among the lengthy prog rock solos and the healthy audience was in raptures.

EJ was on good form, chatting between numbers and saying how pleased he was that his perspex violin (made in '72 in his Curved Air days) is still going strong. He had family in the audience, including his 89 year old father (don't know how he felt about the decibel levels!) who hadn't heard him play for 35 years.

EJ looks a little like a Bond villain, with his shoulder length grey hair, tinted Lennon specs & dressed in black & dark grey; JW's luxurious locks are now cut to collar length, their thickness now matched by his waistline! :D

The 30th anniversary remastered versions of all three CDs were on sale at a very reasonable tenner apiece (Amazon copies are going for two or three times that sum) and I managed to get one of them signed by JW later as the gear was being dismantled.

No sign of EJ after the gig, but I guess he'd have had family stuff to deal with. Had met him a couple of years or so ago at a Curved Air gig in Kent, though, and found him to be a very approachable guy.

This was their only gig in this country, but they seemed to be enjoying it, so maybe one day it'll happen again (maybe the 40th anniversary; this was the 35th...).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:11 am 

Responding yet again to my own post! ;)

Was tipped off by a mate who's a big prog rock fan that www.johnwetton.com is showing a return date for UK at Under The Bridge (at Chelsea FC in London) on 1st March 2015...

The band's name makes internet searches a nightmare, but I've e-mailed the venue, seeking confirmation & more details.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 pm 

Thank you for posting this, Smudge. I have always liked the voice of John Wetton and his contributions to Asia or Wetton/Manzanera. 'Rock Meets Classic' featuring John Wetton and Ian Gillan will come to my home town in March 2015. I'm thinking about buying myself a ticket ;) .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 pm 

The London date has now been confirmed:

http://underthebridge.co.uk/events/u-k/

Price a little steep at £40 (the £60 VIP option doesn't seem to offer much extra), as most other bands I've seen there charged around £20, but only about 10% more than when Eddie & Co. were last there.

Like last time, no Terry Bozzio; if it is to be their last hurrah, a few numbers with Allan Holdsworth & Bill Bruford would have been nice, but those bridges have been long since burned, I believe... :(

Only four other dates at present (see www.johnwetton.com): two in Poland and one each in Norway & Holland.

Anyone else going?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 pm 

So, last night was indeed the last night for prog rockers U.K. in Europe (US fans will find three April dates listed in the home page at http://www.johnwetton.com); it has been billed as the Farewell Tour.

The gig itself was fine, although possibly not quite as memorable as the group's 2012 visit to the same venue (Under The Bridge in London). Three years ago the gig kicked off with the wonderfully bombastic In The Dead Of Night, whereas last night we had to wait nearly 75 mins for it (the whole show, including the encore, ran a respectable hour and 45 minutes and the set list can be found at http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/uk/2015/u ... b9033.html, which is a really useful website...)

Those who forked out £20 on top of the £40 (plus fees :( ) ticket price for the VIP Meet & Greet package were apparently kept out in the heavy rain for 45 mins, due to the late arrival of the band (flight delays, I believe; they played in Holland on Sat night), then told that there was insufficient time for the advertised Q&A session.

Despite the rush, Messrs Jobson & Wetton were both on good form and in good spirits; EJ played more violin and spoke more than three years ago, while JW is still in good voice and a hugely under-rated bassist, IMHO.

JW must have slipped out of a side door afterwards, but EJ stopped long enough to sign a CD for me, even though he must have been tired.

During the evening I was able to have a brief chat in passing with Curved Air vocalist Sonja Kristina, who told me that she hoped that band might persuade EJ to perform with them at the same venue in the future (didn't sound like anything has been arranged yet), so watch this space! :D