A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music Debut Album 40th Anniversary Edition
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Owner

Roxy Music have posted this on their facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/roxymusic

"To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the first Roxy Music album, we are starting to put together the ultimate collector's edition of the record. This will contain lots of unseen and unheard elements ... what would you like to see in it?"

They are asking for suggestion of what fans would like to see from the first album/tour period to be included in this issue.

If you have any good ideas for such a release then please make your suggestions on their Facbook page so they can see what the fans are looking for.

Here are examples form other bands;
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/2193149 ... duct.html#

http://www.amazon.com/Bends-SPECIAL-COL ... B001PPF12G

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/index.php?id=20100701

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Debut Album 40th Anniversary Edition
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:22 pm 

Well, I don't want to see any stuff on it that's already available. It should just be stuff relevant to that album and definitely no Remixes. CD1 should be the original CD, CD2 should be Outtakes, different cuts, and unreleased songs,or maybe one concert. CD3 should be a DVD of TV appearances or any live concerts,but no interviews. I know the 1972 TOTP TV appearance has already bee issued,but that should be included as it blew everyone away at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:27 pm 

I know you will blame me, but i would like 2 cd's, the first one, the orginal Cd remastered, the second one the cd WITHOUT the noises by Eno...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 pm 

Sound quality of the remastered CD isn't in need of major improvement; to make this version unique it could include both VP & The Numberer.

Although heavily bootlegged, the BBC sessions are almost never collated chronologically (but are rather spread over several bootlegs) and these would be essential inclusions for me. I guess they'd require another CD or two. The inclusion of the Davy O'List tracks would add interest when compared with Phil's style.

I've heard whispers that the band's original demo tape might still exist; if so, this would be a must. In fact, put this wish list in reverse order and you might have a great chronology of 71-72 Roxy.

I doubt there's enough unreleased TV footage (TOTP & similar) to fill a DVD. If there's to be a visual element, I wonder if there's any reasonable quality concert footage from the Royal College Of Art or Crystal Palace or similar?

A glossy booklet including early sketches of the artwork and unreleased pictures of the Kari-Ann portfolio would be classy. Brief comments by all the band members (including Eno & Graham Simpson) on their recollections of the recording sessions might be illuminating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:36 pm 

Interesting project.

Cost, accessability, licensing issues aside I would like to see:

'Would You Believe' - full video of performance from US tour.

2HB or was it Remake/Re-model video from the Old Grey Whistle Test - I have never seen this performance - only Ladytron seems to be shown.

Definitley tracks , or clips from the audition tapes.

Some tracks from 'The Peel Sessions'.

I am worried that material included will only feature line up from first album onwards, and the likes of Roger Bunn and Davy O'List will not be included.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 pm 

I'm not sure how much visual footage still exists,so they may struggle to fill a DVD. Some of the original audio recordings would be fantastic, but would the big 4 want to share any royalties with Eno,Simpson,Bunn and O'Llst.......or anyone else !
I just hope they use this opportunity to release something truly great from yesteryear and not let the financials influence their decision making.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Owner

I have been involved in this project for over a year and the intention is to make this for the die hard fans, that is who it is aimed at. There is some interesting material available to make this an exciting release.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:14 pm 

I'd like a second CD that has Eno-era demos and live versions of the various songs on the album. Maybe it all doesn't have to be "new" but gathering together a bunch of stuff that's scattered among other cds and bootlegs, etc would the kind of thing that would definitely prompt me to buy the new 'edition" of the first album.

Please, no new DJ "mixes" of classic tunes. I think the Remix genre has pretty much played out, at least for me...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 am 

How much video footage is available from 1971 /1972 John ? I've only ever seen Remake/Remodel from the Royal College of Art,VP from TOTP and Ladytron from the OGWT. There was a tiny snippet of Would You Believe on T otal Recall but that's about it .I would prefer it if they released a complete show instead of the odd song or two like they did on The Thrill of it All DVD. There are more songs from The BBC Full House show but they only released !. So,more please !!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Owner

[quote="IanS"]How much video footage is available from 1971 /1972 John ? quote]

Check out December 1972 on the chronology of this site.

Having said that it's not always possible to release anything they want to due to contractual and licensing issues.

In the early days when a lot of shows were performed and filmed by bands it was never the intention that in someway this footage would be sold in a convenient format to stick into a readily available machine below the telly so that the stuff can be watched at the consumer's lesuire. That is why for example the making of the Olympia album was filmed in the studio as it happened wheras the first Roxy album wouldn't have been.

I am sure contracts where different in the early days regarding TV appearances etc as it would have been assumed the thing would have been broadcast once with maybe one repeat maximum. I have heard that in some instances (not just Roxy) contracts regaring footage from these eras are such that every musician on stage would have to be contacted and give permission for the use of the footage and other complications that would not exist now as artists know the potential of re-use/re-issue of live and TV footage.

If you look at the DVD on Manzanera CD The Music http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_101.php you will see a lot of unseen private footage from many Roxy eras so I am sure there is some useful stuff lurking on the cutting room floor form those tapes.

J.O'B.