VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: R.I.P. John Wetton
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm 

Sad to hear that former Roxy & BF bassist John Wetton has lost his battle with colon cancer and passed away at the age of 67.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/asia-forn ... es-1964154

I only saw him play live a couple of times, both of them being reunion tours within the past handful of years with the prog rock band U.K. with Eddie Jobson. JW was still playing and singing well, even though he may already have been ill at the time of the more recent gig.

Although perhaps better known for his work with other bands like King Crimson & Asia, his bass work (and that of John Gustafson & Sal Maida) was an important part of the early to mid 70s Roxy sound.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. John Wetton
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:04 pm 

Very sad news, I knew he was ill but still a shock. Another great bass player from King Crimson joins the great gig in the sky.

He had such a muscular playing style and was a good vocalist too.

He played bass on BF's In Your Mind tour and was therefore the first bassist I ever saw live. In fact it was 40 years ago this Saturday that I saw Bryan Ferry for the first time. Not a bad debut gig?

RIP John Wetton - I shall be playing your music tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:00 pm 

Sadly, it fell to me to convey the news to JW's Roxy predecessor, Sal Maida, during an online chat a short while ago. Sal subsequently posted this on social media and has kindly agreed to let me share it here:

Long ago and in a magical land (London 1970's), I was kid with a Hofner bass trying to get something going. So I start looking in the Melody Maker for bands to audition for. HOLY SHIT, an amazing band called Family was looking to replace Ric Grech! So they were holding auditions and yours truly was one of the dozens who tried their luck. Well to cut to the chase, the gig went to an up and coming newcomer named John Wetton. Oddly enough, years later he became the bassist for Roxy Music right after me. Well I woke up with the news that John passed on after a battle with cancer. For anyone who has heard John on record with Family, Bryan Ferry, Roxy, Crimson etc., you already know that he was an absolute monster bass player! If not, do yourself a favor and check out "Burleque" by Family or "Red" by King Crimson or "In Your Mind" by Bryan Ferry and many more. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 pm 

Sad to hear. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:18 pm 

Very sad. Apart from his bass guitar skills he had such a good voice. I loved the late Asia albums, especially 'XXX' from 2012. And remember his contribution to the album Wetton/Manzanera. R.I.P., John.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 pm 

I'm still wondering if maybe there is an extended edition of "Love Me Madly Again" somewhere in the archives? The fading out at the end gives the impression that they played on and on... I could listen to this for hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:45 pm 

I was a HUGE King Crimson fan in the early 70's and was devastated when they broke up. I adored Wetton's voice and his bass playing, at times melodic and lyrical, and at others a powerhouse earthquake. I started listening to Ferry and Roxy because of the Wetton association. I am glad I made that choice because Roxy Music has been an important part of my life for more than 40 years now. I never cared much for Wetton's post KC bands, but for his work on Let's Stick Together and In Your Mind, and for that awesome perfomace on Musikladen of Out of the Blue... I am awe struck. My first Rock hero is gone. RIP, John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6eeT_WzQc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:13 pm 

The track Starless from King Crimson's Red album with JW on bass & vocals is one of the best songs that I've ever heard. R.I.P. John. It was blasted out many times today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:40 am 

Very sad news.

Rest in Peace John Wetton.

Thank you for the music....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

Always made great contributions. Important artist, and one of my favourites. RIP.