VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NYC show last night
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 pm 

Went to see The Man last night in NYC.
Overall a enjoyable show, highlights were Out of the Blue, Tom Thumb and as usual Chris Spedding and Jora C.
The slow tempo offerings on several songs such as Dance Away were a pleasant change to a very average song. While the much talked about Boys and Girls was good, not sure the crowd agreed.
Voice seemed stronger than the whisper I heard last 2 tours here, perhaps the mixer helped out ?? BF seemed to really enjoy himself and smiled throughout to a very strong crown reaction. Last time he seemed almost in pain to get through the set. As usual no banter with the crowd, other than "It's good to be back in NYC" and band intros.
Too much Avalon offerings for me, and set list was 19 of 22 same as last time. Clearly he is stuck on these core songs and only sprinkles in a few changes. Even the classic early offerings Dream Home, OOTB, Editions, and If there is Something are always the same.
Nice suit.
Hopefully another studio offering after he wraps up West Coast dates?

Post subject: Re: NYC show last night
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:07 am 

I was there too. Nice venue, a restored "wonder theatre" of the past. The set list seemed identical to recent shows, minus Oh Yeah and substituting While My Heart is Still Beating. The intro, a segue from India into The Main Thing was thrilling. BF was in very fine voice for the show. Dream Home was astonishing!!
There seemed (to me) to be a problem with the sound. At times, the backing vocalists were mixed slightly under Bryan (as should be). But with the shifting textures, solos and nuances that change within AND from song to song, occasionally Bryan's vocals were hard to hear. I thought the bass and drums were mixed too heavily throughout most of the set. Of course this added extra oomph in the latter part of Dream Home and Editions (among others) but could have been mixed considerably lower. I am very glad I went, and hope that his enthusiasm leads to more (concerts, set list variety, LPs, etc.).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm 

Here's a clip from Youtube:

https://youtu.be/o6CC5jLYCYI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 am 

Hipsters,
W2 is pleased you enjoyed the show and yes CP19538, it is indeed a nice suit.
There is much relief amongst thinking Ferryistas. We are pleased he has ditched the Humperdinck rig. It was a rare sartorial faux pas - not quite on the scale of the ‘Gaucho’ but regrettable nonetheless.
It’s great to see him back swathed in A&S !
Windswept did declare this show a triumph after TRAH principally because of the arrangements, musicianship and showmanship but the set list remains a challenge.
W2 would love to see him take up a short residency in either London, NYC or Paris with more avant- garde song choices. It would be such a logical next step.
Salutations,
Windswept.