Studio Album - September 1994
Bryan Ferry released his 9th solo album 'Mamouna' on 5th September 1994.
This album began after Bryan Ferry's world tour in 1988/89 as an album called Horoscope. The album was mixed and cut several times, but Bryan was never happy with it. He took some time off the album to do some Elvis songs for the soundtrack to the film 'Honeymoon In Vegas'. This acted as the catylist for Bryan to take a complete break and record some old songs which became the album Taxi in 1993. Bryan went back to the Horoscope tapes and re-mixed, re-recorded and wrote some new songs which then became the album Mamouna which was released 5th September 1994. The word Mamouna is Moroccan for 'good luck' and is also a Moroccan girl's name. It reached number 11 in the UK charts and had the singles Your Painted Smile (UK number 52) and Mamouna (UK number 57)
The album had a lot of guest musicians notably ex Roxy members Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay and for the first time since 1973 Brian Eno whom Bryan wrote the song Wildcat Days with.
The Japanese version of the album included 'In Every Dreamhoma A Heartache' & Bete Noire' both recorded live in Glasgow December 10th 1988
The original 'Horoscope' recordings have never been officially released with the exception of a re-recorded version of the Roxy Music song Mother Of Pearl which appeared on the soundtrack to 'Ordinary Decent Criminal' and on Bryan's One Way Love single. The other tracks on 'Horoscope' were The 39 Steps, The Only Face, N.Y.C., Midnight Train, Your Love Has Died, Gemini Moon (Originally called Horoscope), The Death Of Me & Mother Of Pearl.
Album Track Listing
- Don't Want To Know
- Your Painted Smile
- The Only Face
- The 39 Steps
- Which Way To Turn
- Wildcat Days
- Gemini Moon
- Chain Reaction
Other Tracks of Interest
- Mamouna (Radio Edit)
- Mamouna (Single Edit)
- The 39 Steps (Eno Mix)
- The 39 Steps Accelerator Ending
- The 39 Steps Tech-Rock Mix
- The 39 Steps Tech-Rock With Love Love Ending
- The 39 Steps Thechnoramic Mix
- The Only Face 2002
- Dance With Life (The Brilliant Light)
- Dance With Life (Full Version)
- Mother Of Pearl 2000
- In Every Dreamhome A Heartache (Live 1988) Included on the Japanese issue.
- Bete Noire (Live 1988) Included on the Japanese issue.
Album Musicians & Credits
- Bryan Ferry Co Producer, Artwork, Vocals, Piano & Oberheim On Don't Want To Know, Vocals Piano & Witch on N.Y.C., Vocals Piano & Syn-oboe On Your Painted Smile, Vocals Piano Syn-sax & Chiortron On Mamouna, Vocals Piano Syn-DAT& Vocoder On The Only Face, Vocals Juno Prophet & Vidor On The 39 Steps, Vocals Piano & Jupiter On Which Way To Turn, Vocals Berlin Piano & Witch On Wildcat Days, Vocals Syn-oboe & Strings On Gemini Moon, Vocals Piano Syn-oboe & Strings On Chain Reaction.
- Carleen Anderson Backings Vocals On Don't Want To Know, N.Y.C., Your Painted Smile, Mamouna, The Only Face, The 39 Steps, Which Way To Turn, Wildcat Days Gemini Moon, Chain Reaction.
- Jhelisa Backing Vocals On Don't Want To Know, Gemini Moon, Chain Reaction
- Eno Sonics On Don't Want To Know, Sonic Awareness On Mamouna, Sonic Ambience On The Only Face, Sonic Emphasis On The 39 Steps, Sonics On Which Way To Turn, Swoop Treatments On Wildcat Days, Sonic Distress On Gemini Moon, Sonics On Chain Reaction
- David Williams Riff Guitar On Don't Want To Know, Backing Vocals On N.Y.C., Rhythm Guitar On Your Painted Smile, Riff Guitar On Mamouna, Riff Guitar On The 39 Steps, Riff Guitar On Which Way To Turn, Riff Guitar On Wildcat Days, Rhythm Guitar On Gemini Moon, Rhythm On Chain Reaction
- Neil Hubbard Rhythm Guitar On Don't Want To Know, Licks Guitar On N.Y.C., Lead Guitar On Your Painted Smile, Licks Guitar On Mamouna, The Only Face, Licks Guitar On The 39 Steps, Licks Guitar On Which Way To Turn, Swamp Guitar On Gemini Moon, Lead Guitar On Chain Reaction
- Chester Kamen Mood Guitar On Don't Want To Know, Mood Guitar On Your Painted Smile, Card Guitar On Mamouna, Latin Guitar On The Only Face, Gondola On The 39 Steps, Mood Guitar On Which Way To Turn, Scratch & Arab Guitars On Wildcat Days, Drift Guitar On Gemini Moon, Mutron Guitar On Chain Reaction.
- Jeff Thall Atmos Guitar On Don't Want To Know, Atmos Guitar On N.Y.C., Atmos Guitar On Your Painted Smile, Atmos Guitar On Mamouna, Atmos Guitar On The 39 Steps, Atmos Guitar On Wildcat Days, Atmos Guitar On Chain Reaction.
- Phil Manzanera Gull Guitar On Don't Want To Know, Atmos Guitar On Which Way To Turn.
- Nathan East Bass On Don't Want To Know, N.Y.C., Your Painted Smile, The Only Face, The 39 Steps, Which Way To Turn, Wildcat Days Gemini Moon, Chain Reaction.
- Maceo Parker Alto Sax On N.Y.C.
- Nile Rodgers Rhythm Guitar On N.Y.C., The 39 Steps, Gemini Moon
- Richard T. Norris Additional Engineering At Studio One, Programme On N.Y.C., Your Painted Smile, The Only Face, Loops On Wildcat Days, Programme On Gemini Moon, Chain Reaction.
- Luke Cresswell Percussion On N.Y.C.
- Luis Jardim Percussion On Your Painted Smile
- Pino Palladino Bass On Mamouna
- Yanick Etienne Backing Vocals On The Only Face, The 39 Steps.
- Guy Pratt Wah Bass On The Only Face, The 39 Steps.
- Paul Johnson Backing Vocals On The 39 Steps.
- Robin Trower Co Producer, Strat On The 39 Steps.
- Mike Paice Alto Sax On which Way To Turn
- Andy Mackay Alto Sax On Wildcat Days
- Nicholas de Ville Artwork
- James Ward Cover Painting
- The New Renaiscance
- Zanna Video
- Tamar Cover Girl
- Zoe Cover Girl
- Steven Cassidy Photos
- David Enthoven Management
- Juliet Mann Management
- Andy Gershon Management At Cohen Brothers Management Los Angeles
- Olympic Studios Recorded At
- Utopia Recorded At
- Master Rock Studios Recorded At
- Mix This Mixed At
- Simon Puxley Consultant
- Johnson Somerset Assitant Producer
- Bob C. Ludwig Mastered By
- Gateway Studios Portland Maine Mastered At
- Sven Taits Engineered By
- Bob Clearmountain Mixed By
- Arabella Lennox-Boyd Thanks
- Ken Berry Thanks
- Nancy Berry Thanks
- Paul Conroy Thanks
- Charlie Dimont Thanks
- Ashley Newton Thanks
- Ray Cooper Thanks
- Jeremy Silver Thanks
- Robert Lee Thanks
- Ronnie Harris Thanks
- Richard Harvey Thanks
- James Truman Thanks
- Richard Bell Thanks
- Brian Loucks Thanks
- Ruth Block Thanks
- Colin Roy Thanks
- John Dietrich Thanks
- George Saunders Thanks
- Carl Madert Thanks